Seemingly thinner spring for Edison Home

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
bartongreg8238
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Music!

Seemingly thinner spring for Edison Home

Post by bartongreg8238 »

I recently bought an Edison Home, and after some disassembly, discovered the spring is .022 thick. That seems thinner than I expected. The spare standard spring I have is .031 (1/32). Is there any issue using the thinner one? I noticed that I could wind the thing > 45 times, which seems more than normal. Also seems as though it has not works for 4-4.5 minutes.

I wouldn’t use the standard spring in the home because it isn’t as wide. But should I replace the spring? The thinner one seems sketchy.

???
Thanks,
Greg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Seemingly thinner spring for Edison Home

Post by JerryVan »

bartongreg8238 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:53 pm I recently bought an Edison Home, and after some disassembly, discovered the spring is .022 thick. That seems thinner than I expected. The spare standard spring I have is .031 (1/32). Is there any issue using the thinner one? I noticed that I could wind the thing > 45 times, which seems more than normal. Also seems as though it has not works for 4-4.5 minutes.

I wouldn’t use the standard spring in the home because it isn’t as wide. But should I replace the spring? The thinner one seems sketchy.

???
Thanks,
Greg
Regardless of thickness, if your spring doesn't do the job, and everything else is in proper condition, you need a new spring.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Frow's Edison cylinder machine book contains a spring chart which gives length, width and thickness dimensions for all Edison cylinder phonos.

bartongreg8238
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Music!

Post by bartongreg8238 »

Thanks so much for the information! I found Frow’s ebook and see the spring sizes in appendix 10. I’m guessing I have a triumph spring based on length and thickness, so I’ll probably change that one out when I find a new one.

Thanks again!
Greg