Gear greasing technique(s)

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Gear greasing technique(s)

Post by CharliePhono »

Much discussion has been centered around the different types of lubricants for phono motors in terms of greases and oils, but to my knowledge, nothing has been written about techniques for applying grease. For example, I've seen many pics posted on the Forum showing immaculately greased gears/spindle gears/bull gears, etc., which are surreal in the perfection of the applied grease (Jon Sheff's motors come to mind). My question is how do you get the grease applied so perfectly? It almost appears to have been done by some special machine.

What are some of your techniques to effectively and neatly apply your grease of choice to phono motors, so as not to glop or apply too sparingly? Do you use a brush, a stick, end of a screwdriver, or . . . ?

JeffR1
Victor III

Re: Gear greasing technique(s)

Post by JeffR1 »

I use my finger tips.
I fill the teeth of the big ring gear with grease in-between my finger tips taking care not to get it all over.
I wind it up and add grease to the worm gear as necessary _ I then remove the excess as it runs.

The same goes for the governor drive.

Some would cringe I suppose sticking my fingers in moving machinery, but more then 30 years of working with machinery, I've never had a problem.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

No great tips from me as well: I use a small paintbrush and I try to apply the grease over the teeth as precisely as I can.

Honestly I'm not too maniac when it comes to greasing: it's good to have a bit of grease "reservoir" around the teeth, and after all the grease in the barrel happens to be very frequently squeezed out after spring replacement/regreasing, so there will be "messy" parts of the motor anyway.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I also intuitively use my fingers, trying to get the grease between the teeth of the gears, also in the worms. I find a paintbrush quite messy,
After it has run for some time, i remove the surplus from the sides of the gears and the end of the worms, using the fingers, or a paper towel, but then I don't go between the teeth, only through the 'unworking' areas of the gears, barrel, etc. I only remove the surplus grease that isn't doing anything...
Inigo

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Thanks to all for their input. I appreciate it!