Victor O

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Re: Victor O

Post by travisgreyfox »

Yep no screws. I'm convinced now that the spring is fine and my problems stem from the gears being worn down too much. Unfortunately for me this is much worse than a broken/unhooked spring. I think I'll save up some money and send it out to George Vollema and see what he thinks about it and hopefully he has some gears for the ratchet assembly.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

This not a gear problem. Gears don't allow you wind and then suddenly slip. The only possible issue with the gears might be a sheared pin in the gear that's on the barrel shaft.

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

travisgreyfox wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:43 am Yep no screws. I'm convinced now that the spring is fine and my problems stem from the gears being worn down too much. Unfortunately for me this is much worse than a broken/unhooked spring. I think I'll save up some money and send it out to George Vollema and see what he thinks about it and hopefully he has some gears for the ratchet assembly.
So lay it on its side on a folded towel so you can see what's going on while cranking.
A video here of what's going on would be priceless.

You will immediately see if the ring gear is skipping on the worm, and/or the spring is the problem. (or a shear pin problem)
After reading this post, I believe now it is the spring, but it could be both.

To others, how is the ring gear attached to the spring barrel, is it just pressed in there and/or soldered ?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

JeffR1 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:41 pm To others, how is the ring gear attached to the spring barrel, is it just pressed in there and/or soldered ?
The ring gear is not an attached piece, it's actually part of the spring barrel itself. The barrel is made with a flange. The gear is cut into that flange.

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

JerryVan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:09 pm
JeffR1 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:41 pm To others, how is the ring gear attached to the spring barrel, is it just pressed in there and/or soldered ?
The ring gear is not an attached piece, it's actually part of the spring barrel itself. The barrel is made with a flange. The gear is cut into that flange.
Interesting how it's made out of one piece like that, and the cover fits tight into the ring gear end. (I think I understand that now)

It's too bad that Travis just wasn't a little more comfortable taking that pin out, but even then, even if he got to the point of examining the spring, I don't think he would attempt to remove it.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

JeffR1 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:50 pm
JerryVan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:09 pm
Interesting how it's made out of one piece like that, and the cover fits tight into the ring gear end. (I think I understand that now)

It's too bad that Travis just wasn't a little more comfortable taking that pin out, but even then, even if he got to the point of examining the spring, I don't think he would attempt to remove it.

Yeah, I feel a lot more pressure dealing with this victor motor which is the most expensive motor I ever handled. Most of my rebuild experience comes from VV-100 motors and such that are not nearly as rare or valuable. That being said, I think you guys got to the bottom of my problem; its the main spring but the gears are not in the best shape either. I boxed up the motor today and mailed it to George. I'll come back here and let everyone know the details when he gets back to me.

Thanks for all the input, I know I'm not the best at explaining things :lol:

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Update on the machine:

George installed a NOS ratchet gear and fixed the main spring which was jacked up. He also said my crank was not correct and looked "jury rigged" and would not work any longer with the spring actually working as intended so he sold me a repro one. He also just re-lubed and gave the rest a "once over".

Now for the bad news: Since he likes for the motor to be paired with the board or case I mailed both together to him. USPS, decided to play dodge ball or something with the package and jacked up case pretty bad destroying one side of it and chipping and sort of bending the other side.

I guess you cant win them all :(

Thanks for everybody's help throughout though. I learned a lot and although I am pissed, I am still excited to get the machine back and play some records!

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

What do you mean by "jacked up" when referring to the main spring ?
What was wrong with it specifically ?

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I'm not quite sure Jeff, but I believe it broke and the spring was bent up. He told me he repaired/reshaped the old spring.

Here's a pic of the open spring barrel he sent me.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220515-032753_Gallery.jpg

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

Thanks Travis, curiosity satisfied. ;)

That is strange how it got that way, especially if it was working when you bought it, to get like that the turntable would have to be turned backwards with ones hand, or counter-clockwise, that would unhook the spring from the arbor and bend it back like that _ someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Winding it backwards would do the same thing, but that's impossible to do that.