Victor O

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Victor O

Post by Inigo »

No retaining ring here. There lid, at the geared side of the barrel, is inserted the by pressure. To take it off the are two ways:
You can hold the barrel in a vise, or by hand if you're able, and with a soft hammer, kick on the center arbor by the opposite side, so the arbor kicks on the lid and presses it out from the barrel. Be careful not to marr the arbor end where you're kicking it. Small repeated kicks is what you need. Eventually the lid pops out.
Another way is to use the weight of the spring; take the barrel firmly in your hand by the bottom (no gear side), put an old towel on a table, near the border. And kick your hand against the table edge, so the spring is shaked inside the barrel against the lid. Some kicks and the shaking of the spring against the lid will make it pop out. The clothed table is ready for the lid to fall on it, so it is not marred. Soft repeated shakes is what you need.
Be careful not to hurt your hand or fingers with the geared edge of the barrel, the teeth are sharp! And takes care of that gear not to hit on anything, or the teeth might be marred.
All said, you'll see it is pretty easy...
To replace the lid, you must put it in place, and give small repeated kicks around the edge to force it on its place until it fits well into its groove.
Inigo

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Thanks Inigo. I feel better about tackling this after reading all the comments. I will start this surgery as soon as I get done with these 12 hour shifts I'm working.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Well I've done everything suggested to try to rehook the spring and all attempts have failed. I took out the spring barrel but I cant seem to get the lid to budge. I'm trying not to be too heavy handed with it but I have put a good amount of pressure on it with zero results.
Attachments
20220504_210517.jpg

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Also, could this deformity be the cause of all my problems?
Attachments
20220504_211313.jpg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Q. Have you removed the barrel from the casting? The arbor won't really move unless the barrel is out.

You'll have to remove the ratchet by punching out the pin that holds it to the arbor; then you can take out the barrel. There may be another pin on the winding gear, but I'm not sure (I'm looking at an early Vic I barrel assembly, which is fairly similar). Then you can try holding or clamping the barrel, and tapping the arbor to get the lid off (the barrel I have has the bull gear screwed to the barrel, which is different from yours).

I hope this helps.

- Bill

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

EDIT:
See post below, looks like the cover is held on with small scews.

I don't think there is a cover at all, the ring gear is the cover.
It must be just pressed in there or soldered, or both.

It looks like the spring barrel is pressed out of one piece and is closed with the ring gear.
Last edited by JeffR1 on Wed May 04, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

I found what looks like a small screw head, there's probably 4 of them.
Pretty sure that the ring gear is the cover or part of it.

I looked at my Victor 1 and it has for screws on the back edge of the barrel _ remove those to assess the spring, it looks like yours on the front.

The other thing that is "off" are the witness/wear marks on the barrel next to the crank gears.
I think that the arbor and the center of the spring barrel where the arbor wears is very worn, and that's the problem.
That could also explain the chewed teeth and the wear mark on the barrel.

Once the cover is off, you can determine if the spring is the problem, but I think there is the other problem too.
Attachments
Screw Ring Gear.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

JeffR1 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:39 pm
I looked at my Victor 1 and it has for screws on the back edge of the barrel _ remove those to assess the spring, it looks like yours on the front.

I think that the arbor and the center of the spring barrel where the arbor wears is very worn, and that's the problem.
That could also explain the chewed teeth and the wear mark on the barrel.

Once the cover is off, you can determine if the spring is the problem, but I think there is the other problem too.
I know what you're describing with the four screws and the lid itself being the gear. However, this is not that style of spring barrel. He has to knock out the pin holding the ratchet on, slip off the support casting, then tap the end of the shaft which will pop off the cover on the other end.

A worn arbor is not his trouble. He's got a spring issue.

Remove this pin... As someone else stated, the gear will need to come off also and may be pinned as well.
Be sure to adequately support the ratchet wheel and shaft while tapping out the pin
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.6 KiB) Viewed 820 times

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

JerryVan wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:24 pm

I know what you're describing with the four screws and the lid itself being the gear. However, this is not that style of spring barrel.
Capture.JPG
Indeed: the flange on the barrel, behind the lid/gear, is much narrower than on mine - too narrow to hold any screws.

- Bill

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

It seems clearly to me the barrel with press fit lid, no screws... Same as mine.
Inigo