Victor spring barrel retainer clip/circlip help

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Victor spring barrel retainer clip/circlip help

Post by Inigo »

I also have a slightly ovalized barrel, and to place the lid I must find the larger diameter and press the barrel a bit; then the lid fitted perfectly, with that little help.
Inigo

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: Victor spring barrel retainer clip/circlip help

Post by CharliePhono »

need4art wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:10 pm I read this thread with interest as I had the same issue with a 4 door Credenza. I have done 8 units both single and double barrel units but never had an issue with the spring clip until this unit. I did all the normal stuff, but got to the point that I realized that the top was not seating evenly all around leaving less room for the spring clip in some areas than others, so it would not "clip in".

I went so far as to pull out the newly greased clean spring, cleaning it again. I put the lid in and without the spring in place the lid seated and then the clip went in pretty well. ? Too much grease ??? So I put jus a small amount of grease in the sides and bottom and put the spring back in. I then noticed that the spring actually slightly deformed the barrel and I had to work to get the lid in and still the clip would not seat. I finally resorted to putting a strong fabric ratchet strap around the barrel and bringing it back to round again (did not take much) and while it still took a lot of work to get the spring clip to hook up-it did, both barrels had to be treated the same way.

One of antique phonographs little mysteries????

Why??
Abe
Abe, one thing I did notice one of the barrels was that the outer edge of the coiled spring had ridden up a bit in the barrel. For this, I used a block of wood and gently tapped on the edge with a small ball-peen hammer to get it flush into the barrel. This helped. The oddness is that I'm unaware of what transpired between my first installation of the rings versus the second. The aforementioned spring issue was certainly one thing, and I clearly recall the first time I reinstalled the rings I had no problem whatsoever. Perhaps having the run motor quite a bit since heaven knows when caused something. At any rate, the clips are back, but I'm watching one of them closely, as even after installation it popped out again, necessitating some reforming. I hope I don't run into this issue again for a very long time!