How standard are Victrola spindle hole arrangements?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Morell1
Victor O

How standard are Victrola spindle hole arrangements?

Post by Morell1 »

I have a 1914 VV-IV with a turntable that has warped so badly that it collides with the speed mechanism and comes to a stop. The spindle is straight and true. I'm thinking of buying a new platter and see quite a few that seem to have the right dimensions--12". They also appear to have the same construction and spindle hole fitting. Did Victor use standard 12" platters that were interchangable among internal horn acoustic VV machines? The ones I'm seeing online look identical to mine, down to small details, but I know that minor differences in dimensions can be a deal-breaker.

Of course, it's a crap shoot to buy a platter from eBay on the strength of online photos in hopes that it, too, isn't warped, but I'm guessing my platter's warp is worse than most.

JeffR1
Victor II

Re: How standard are Victrola spindle hole arrangements?

Post by JeffR1 »

Talk to a machinist, he can true it up on the lathe by over drilling, closing the hole and re-drilling it to true.
That assumes that it's not tapered, but even then he should be able to do something, he would also need the spindle.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

JeffR1 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:37 pm Talk to a machinist, he can true it up on the lathe by over drilling, closing the hole and re-drilling it to true.
That assumes that it's not tapered, but even then he should be able to do something, he would also need the spindle.
... he would also need more money than another turntable would cost.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Morell1 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:06 am I have a 1914 VV-IV with a turntable that has warped so badly that it collides with the speed mechanism and comes to a stop. The spindle is straight and true. I'm thinking of buying a new platter and see quite a few that seem to have the right dimensions--12". They also appear to have the same construction and spindle hole fitting. Did Victor use standard 12" platters that were interchangable among internal horn acoustic VV machines? The ones I'm seeing online look identical to mine, down to small details, but I know that minor differences in dimensions can be a deal-breaker.

Of course, it's a crap shoot to buy a platter from eBay on the strength of online photos in hopes that it, too, isn't warped, but I'm guessing my platter's warp is worse than most.
As long as the height of the turntable hub is the same, you should be okay. Shaft/hole diameters should be consistant.

I'm assuming the warp is in the turntable plate itself, and not caused by sloppiness in the turntable hub? If so, you might consider bolting the turntable hub to a rigid surface, grabbing the table by its edges, and giving it a good "tweek" to straighten it. You don't have much to lose in trying. It may take a few adjustments to get it right, but if can get bent out of shape, it ought to possible to bend it back.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

There are some differences in the diameter of the spindle hole between earlier machines and later-- corresponding to a different size spindle. I've run into this several times over the years. If the TT hole is a bit small, running a drill bit the same size as the spindle through the hole can open it up a bit--- but then the TT will no longer fit it's original motor.

Brad Abell

Morell1
Victor O

Post by Morell1 »

Thanks to all for your ideas. I went back to the drawing board when my measurements revealed that the difference between the high and low sides of the tuneable was a mere ⅛ inch, which suggests that a perfectly level turntable would spare me only 1/16 of an inch.

So I tightened up the breaking mechanism and leveled the motor, which seems to have addressed the issue for now. I'll report back if problems return!