Garrard 20 motor...in which portables?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Garrard 20 motor...in which portables?

Post by nostalgia »

I was servicing a Garrard 20 motor today, and of course...a washer fell out, and I did not see where it originated.
Does someone remember?
Update: Governor parts missing, I need find a replacement motor, if I know what Columbia portables to look for...
Attachments
IMG20220711145850.jpg
Last edited by nostalgia on Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Re: Garrard 20 motor...where to put the washer

Post by nostalgia »

It is not so important, the motor is lacking its governor parts.
I need find a replacement motor, and what Columbia portables that had this motor.
Does someone remember this?

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Garrard 20 motor...in which portables?

Post by Phono48 »

I'm pretty sure it goes on the top of the spring (looking at the spring as per your photo).

Barry

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Garrard 20 motor...where to put the washer

Post by epigramophone »

nostalgia wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:09 am It is not so important, the motor is lacking its governor parts.
I need find a replacement motor, and what Columbia portables that had this motor.
Does someone remember this?
Columbia had a long standing contract with Garrard for the supply of motors, and as their biggest customer they were able to have them stamped with the Columbia name. I think the No.20 was fitted to the 109, 109a and early 201 portables. After the contract expired, later 201's were fitted with HMV motors as EMI moved towards standardisation.

The No.20 motor was also fitted to many Decca portables from about 1930, and to many portables from smaller manufacturers.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Roger and Barry, thanks for the information.
I was actually starting to think it could be found in a 109, but since the "depot" is 60 km away, it was easier to ask than drive the long distance
I however ended up removing this motor, it was found in a horn gramophone, obviuosly a re motored frankenphone, but still, with a nice horn.
However, a speed control for a portable is not easily manouvred into a horn gramophone, so I dropped the whole thing.
It will become an ornamental object only this machine, sometimes one has to pass...
Attachments
861_1597568239.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Yes a nice horn with unusual paintwork, but the gooseneck has been fitted on the wrong side of the tonearm and the soundbox is of later date. In the Depression years when money was tight, soundbox upgrades were commonly done to enable older gramophones to continue in use with electrical recordings.