Applying decals

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Morell1
Victor O

Applying decals

Post by Morell1 »

This question applies to a 1910 grand piano, but I'm guessing the dynamics are similar on phonographs.

We just bought a 1910 piano that has been refinished with what looks like varnish. The refinishing job was well done, EXCEPT that the refinisher never applied an original looking decal. He opted instead to attach a garish and anachronistic brass plaque where the decal should be.

My question: is a varnish transfer always the best option? I'm also seeing decals that require only dry burnishing--without varnish. Oddly enough, the decal that does not require varnish looks closer to the original than the varnish transfer decal does. Still, I'd like to go with the best, most appropriate, option.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer!

martinola
Victor III

Re: Applying decals

Post by martinola »

Personally, I'd go with the one that looks closest to the original. Reproductions are always a series of trade offs. They were originally varnish transfers, but you are dependent on the reproduction maker's taste, eye for detail, and artistic ability to make a faithful copy. In other words, they have to be good at art and manufacturing. I'd be lucky to do just one of those two things. For me, I prefer the art to be as close as possible. In restoring a Banner Standard, I ended up buying 3 different versions of the decal so that I could compare for the best art and have a back-up in case I needed to re-do it later. Good luck with your piano!

Martin

Morell1
Victor O

Re: Applying decals

Post by Morell1 »

Thank you, Martin! That makes good sense. I saw some online videos demonstrating the more modern decals, and the results look good to me!