Edison Standard early Suitcase model

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Edison Standard early Suitcase model

Post by Canuk Phonographs »

The early Edison Standard square top suitcase motor has a 3 in. diameter spring barrel and is smaller than the Edison later Edison Standard models which had a 3 ½ in diameter spring barrel.
The later Standards used a 1 in. X 11 ft spring. My question is, what is the length of the 1 in. spring for the early model Standard with the smaller spring barrel?

Many thanks,
Blain
Attachments
IMG_2274.jpg

Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Re: Edison Standard early Suitcase model

Thank you Dave Dazer. Dave mentioned that George Frow had a spring guide for Edison phonographs in his book.
Frow says the Edison Standard Model A had a ⅞" X .030 X 10 ft BUT an asterisk says the early models had a smaller gauge. That makes sense so now I know what will fit in the smaller spring barrel.
The Phonograph Shop lists HQ51 at ⅞" X .023 X 10ft. I will try that as I think it will fit properly.

The machine came with an Edison Standard main spring and the spring barrel was totally full. Knew that wasn't correct.

Thank you Dave.
Blain

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Canuk Phonographs wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:55 am Thank you Dave Dazer. Dave mentioned that George Frow had a spring guide for Edison phonographs in his book.
Frow says the Edison Standard Model A had a ⅞" X .030 X 10 ft BUT an asterisk says the early models had a smaller gauge. That makes sense so now I know what will fit in the smaller spring barrel.
The Phonograph Shop lists HQ51 at ⅞" X .023 X 10ft. I will try that as I think it will fit properly.

The machine came with an Edison Standard main spring and the spring barrel was totally full. Knew that wasn't correct.

Thank you Dave.
Blain
Blain,

While it does not seem like much difference, the .007" thinner spring may lack a fair amount of power over the .030". Thickness means a lot with flat main springs, even in small increments.

Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Thanks Jerry. I agree.
So I am left with no recourse but to find an original early suitcase standard and perform an autopsy. I hope it is original. I will let you know.
Regards,
Blain

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Blain,

Still thinking about your spring issue. Is the HQ51 spring listed by the Phonograph Shop the one they suggest for the early Model A, or is it just a random size spring that hey have in stock? Given that the gear you're also seeking is a smaller diameter than for later models, I'm wondering if the gear ratio of the early motor is suited for use with a thinner, (i.e. weaker), spring.

Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Happy New Year Jerry
I managed to get my hands on a virgin early suitcase Standard model that was only 500 serial numbers younger then the machine I am working on. The belt disintegrated but I removed the spring and discovered that the main spring was 10 ft. long, 1 in. wide and .027 gauge. The spring barrel was full, and the cover plate on the spring barrel was extended past the edge off the spring barrel but it all fit and ran.
I had an old Edison spring that was 11 ft, 1 in, .027 gauge, so I cut 1 foot off, made a new hole and it went in the spring barrel very nicely. The machine seems to be running properly now, even with 3 nibs only for the teeth on the gears.
I have more work to complete before I can run a cylinder but I think we might have this machine almost fixed.

Thanks to Darren Wallace, I included some pictures of how to measure a main spring by using a string.
Jerry, thanks for your advice and help.

Blain
Attachments
IMG_2276.jpg
IMG_2277.jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Blain, thank you very much for sharing the string method to measure a mainspring. I've tried with a measuring tape before, but that didn't work well. Will try the string next time. Glad you got your spring problem solved.

Happy New Year!
Andreas

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Nice idea to use a string to measure the spring length. I will have to remember that.

Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Completed and I just wanted to thank all the people that gave me advice, helped me with parts or technical support.
It was a challenge for me and I was happy to learn from it. I could not have done this without the support of friends and the Talking Forum community.
Thanks again,
Blain
Attachments
IMG_2295.jpg
IMG_2296.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Wow! That's beautiful! Nice work!