Please Help Me Find the Source Of Click Noise

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Dave D
Victor IV

Please Help Me Find the Source Of Click Noise

Post by Dave D »

I have attached a video of this Victrola motor and you can hear an intermittent click noise. Nothing seems to be hitting.
Thanks!
Dave D
Attachments
IMG_5578.MOV
(16.94 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
IMG_5578.MOV
(16.94 MiB) Downloaded 29 times

Phonolair
Victor III

Re: Please Help Me Find the Source Of Click Noise

Post by Phonolair »

Dave is the head of the locking screw on the brass spindle gear just barely hitting some of the teeth on the big drive gear as it passes by.
The sound is certainly rotational with the spindle and brass spindle gear.

Larry C

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I think Larry is correct. Notice, the click happens only when the set screw on the brass spindle is in the 9 o'clock position, which puts it just adjacent to the drive gear.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I guess it is time to admit that I need magnifiers. I suspected the source of the noise was just as you guys suggested, but I did not see anything hitting until I used a magnifying glass. Time for an Optivisor.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks to Jerry Van for the very entertaining click noise video. I watched it several times...
Dave

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

This very same defect I had in one of my HMVs. The design there is pretty tight, and time and wear make things misadjust slightly, so things that were slightly apart when new, end colliding with time. I found it difficult to repair. I believe I ended turning the brass spindle gear upside down or something, because it is possible. in fact, i forgot what position it was when i bought the machine! Only in factory designs and drawings (maybe in the oiling diagram too) one can see how was it intended to be originally. In several of my machines it works well in both positions. When you install the gear with the screw towards the top motor plate it never hits the bull gear anymore, although it is difficult to screw the set screw across that narrow space, you'll need a long screwdriver to reach the screw.
Inigo