Victor 6 horn elbow repair

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
MikeB
Victor II

Victor 6 horn elbow repair

Post by MikeB »

I am looking for someone to repair an original horn elbow for my Victor 6. It has a split as shown, and the large opening is just slightly deformed, but enough so that it will not slip over the end of my spear tip horn without trying to force it. Also the gold plating is all but gone. Fortunately, there are no dents and it is basically sound otherwise. I know that replacements are extremely hard to find, and even repros are prohibitively expensive. Does anyone know of someone who could restore this one, and possibly give it a good gold plating?

Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_7193.jpg
IMG_7191.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Victor 6 horn elbow repair

Post by Jerry B. »

I've noticed what appears to be a seam in Victor elbows. If there's a separation in the seam, couldn't it be soldered?

Jerry B.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jerry B. wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:47 pm I've noticed what appears to be a seam in Victor elbows. If there's a separation in the seam, couldn't it be soldered?

Jerry B.
Solder would not be strong enough. Maybe silver solder. Very careful brazing would be best, but finding a good source is a gamble. I'm thinking someone who mainly does jewelry work would have the proper finesse.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

I think silver solder would be better, it's an alloy and has a lower melting point when compared to brass.

Brazing rod is just straight brass and has the same melting point as the elbow _ kind of risky.