Cleaning/Waxing Victor Horn

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Pete
Victor Jr

Cleaning/Waxing Victor Horn

Post by Pete »

My Victor III black petal horn is starting to look faded to the white side --how can I clean or wax it without destroying originality? What product?

Thank all

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Cleaning/Waxing Victor Horn

Post by Roaring20s »

I know this is a late response, but can you post a picture?
That would get a reply that suits the issue.

James.

Ben the phono man
Victor II
Personal Text: Genuine New Jersey Native

Post by Ben the phono man »

Posting this incase anything else comes of this question.
- Ben

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

An easy way to bring life back to a black horn is to use WD-40... spray it on, wipe it off with a soft cloth and it restores the natural oils in the aged finish.

To touch up scratches on the black finish, use a black Sharpie marker first and then use WD-40. Don't stress when the Sharpie touch ups are shinier than the original paint - they disappear once you apply the WD-40 over them... I used this method on a Victor R horn with a tin bell several years ago. The horn was dent free, but had a lot of distracting scratches on it - after more than 5 years it still looks great.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Would this also work with a black Edison 10 panel cygnet horn? Could I apply with wd40 as well? I’ve got a nice 10 panel cygnet but would love to shine it up a bit without damaging it. Thank you!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I have to say I just tried the Anxious One's Sharpie and WD-40 method on a Victor 3 horn with a lot of bare spots and scratches. I have to confess every time I see Curt posting about WD-40 I think he's the majority stockholder in the company- seems like he uses it in coffee, as a hair gel, tooth whitener, personal lubrication...

But I have to say this Curt A preservation method likely just saved me stripping and refinishing a horn. Is it perfect? No, but it looks like a well preserved original- so well, in fact, I used this method to touch up and blend the back bracket too. It seemed to "feed" the original horn striping and back bracket filigree. Somehow, this satisfied my OCD regarding these parts and that ain't easy to do. I see no reason why this wouldn't detail out a Cygnet and a bed plate, too. Is it possible to be OCD... and lazy? If not, I just invented something like a psychological Reese's cup.

My other "go to" hack on nickel pieces is Autosol chrome polish. This stuff is the bomb and a little goes a long way. As it works it turns black, then you just polish it. I have a buffing wheel in the shop but the little cotton "floaters" get everywhere, so I just used blue shop paper towels. WOW. I will replate the elbow and maybe the bullet brake lever. That's it. This little gem is coming out nice. Autosol has saved me a LOT of replating!

In the next couple days I will perform my shortcut hack for motor servicing. This motor runs super quiet, but thumps with authority. It'll get a bath in the parts washer, can open, then get some Schaeffer's moly grease cut with gear oil. This combo flows EVERYWHERE in the barrels and is liquid, but too thick to leak. It'll liquefy any old grease the parts washer did not get out, and this motor will be happy and never thump again. No spring removal required. :D

Hate on that method- I don't care. Works for me!

Anyways- a shout out to Curt A for the Sharpie/ WD-40 hack. It's a good one!
I'll take photos tomorrow in the light unless I forget.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Georg's quote: "the Anxious One's Sharpie and WD-40 method"

Kind of an inside joke... My Surname: Angstman(n). Angst - Fear or anxiety. Mann - man.

In this case, it's "Fear-man" = Der Henker or Scharfrichter (executioner). Fortunately, my ancestors changed occupations after the middle ages and settled down to making shoes. It's not a very common name, since most of the descendants upon learning the meaning, changed their names to Schmidt. :? :lol:

By the way, I'm glad you tried this method and it worked well for you... and I'm not a spokesman or investor in WD-40...

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

KCW wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:42 pm Would this also work with a black Edison 10 panel cygnet horn? Could I apply with wd40 as well? I’ve got a nice 10 panel cygnet but would love to shine it up a bit without damaging it. Thank you!
It will definitely work... you will be pleased with the results.

Curt - Der Henker

My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Curt A wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:40 am Georg's quote: "the Anxious One's Sharpie and WD-40 method"

Kind of an inside joke... My Surname: Angstman(n). Angst - Fear or anxiety. Mann - man.

In this case, it's "Fear-man" = Der Henker or Scharfrichter (executioner). Fortunately, my ancestors changed occupations after the middle ages and settled down to making shoes. It's not a very common name, since most of the descendants upon learning the meaning, changed their names to Schmidt. :? :lol:

By the way, I'm glad you tried this method and it worked well for you... and I'm not a spokesman or investor in WD-40...
One could say also that "Die Hingrichtungen gibt man Angst", in which case "man" = one, hence my translation. :D
Did your forefathers lube and maintain their tools of trade... with WD-40, by chance? :lol:

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

But seriously... here are the results. Unfortunately the machine sits in a place where it is hard to photo properly, with a window right above, hence the glare. Here are the "before" shots from Ken's ad:

And after the Curt A method:
Attachments
IMG_3026.JPG
IMG_3025.JPG