Opera Bedplate Touchup

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Dave D
Victor IV

Opera Bedplate Touchup

Post by Dave D »

Has anyone had any luck touching up an Edison Opera bedplate this has worn paint in a few places? Most of it will clean up fine, but there was a bit of paint loss in a few spots. I was thinking of tinted shellac and feathering the edge?
Dave D

EarlH
Victor III

Re: Opera Bedplate Touchup

Post by EarlH »

I know this one is kind of old, but I have touched up a couple of A-250 bedplates. Instead of shellac though, I used some artist's varnish I got from an art store. I got some dry pigment from them as well and it worked out quite well actually, but if you know where to look you can find it back but at least it's not staring me in the face anymore. The main reason I went with varnish instead of something else is because it dries slow and if it looked stupid I could wipe it off and change the pigment ratio until I was happy with it. Those bedplates were brown so it wasn't too hard to get a decent match. It took another week or two for it to dry completely, but that wasn't really a big deal. You can also get a sort of varnish paste and that's nice to work with as well and it builds up a little faster.