Unique Aeolian Turntable Spindle - Advice Needed

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Unique Aeolian Turntable Spindle - Advice Needed

Post by Granby »

Hello! I have recently acquired an early Aeolian table-top phonograph missing the turntable. What I thought was going to be a pretty straightforward task is proving to be a little difficult. [the world of off brand phonographs, right.... :lol: ]

Take a look at this spindle and let me know if anyone has seen a turntable that will fit it? Are there any key words I should be using when speaking with dealers or looking on ebay? That flare out at the base looks quite different but it may be more common than I realize.

I recently acquired an "authentic" Aeolian turntable pulled from a floor model and it doesn't fit my model because it is a traditional straight cylinder/hole all the way down (no flare). So, evidently, it isn't going to be as easy as simply searching for an Aeolian turntable.... :?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Aeolian Turntable Spindle.jpg
Aeolian Turntable Spindle.jpg (55.51 KiB) Viewed 614 times

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Unique Aeolian Turntable Spindle - Advice Needed

Post by JerryVan »

It looks at least similar to a typical Columbia taper, with the exception of that collar at the base of the taper. You may find that the taper is indeed the same, but that the collar may interfere with the hub of the turntable, preventing it from going on far enough to fully seat with the taper. Is the tapered portion and the collar one piece, or can the collar be lowered and moved away from the taper?

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

JerryVan wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:56 am It looks at least similar to a typical Columbia taper, with the exception of that collar at the base of the taper. You may find that the taper is indeed the same, but that the collar may interfere with the hub of the turntable, preventing it from going on far enough to fully seat with the taper. Is the tapered portion and the collar one piece, or can the collar be lowered and moved away from the taper?
I do notice that collar, now, and it appear to have a screw that can be loosened. I will check that out - if it can be moved/altered, that will certainly open up some possibilities. Thanks for that observation!

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

I just went and pulled the platter off my 1920 floor model A-V. What I can see of your motor board looks similar to that of my machine, but the spindle does not. I am wondering if someone has attached a custom sleeve to adapt the spindle for a different platter--the set screw as noted by Granby above. If so, your search should be simpler.

I believe Brian Nix at The Gramophone Doctor in Ontario has a small stock of A-V parts, and, although he was not able to help member Inigo with his particular A-V needs, he was able to direct him to someone who could. He is a very nice guy, very helpful.

https://gramophonedoctor.ca

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

I believe that the turntable that is with the viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55243 would fit the bill. Do a trade?