HMV 102 (271 D) motor question

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

HMV 102 (271 D) motor question

Post by nostalgia »

Does every 102 with a 271D motor have a washer on top of the spring container, right under the covering of the motor?
The reason I ask is because I have just serviced a early 102, and there was no washer present, and the motor never seemed to have been serviced before.
I intalled a thin washer, but now I have problems making the spring container rotate, so I wonder if...some of these motors were manufactured differently, or if the washer was not present on the D version?

pallophotophone
Victor II

Re: HMV 102 (271 D) motor question

Post by pallophotophone »

Hello,

I've never serviced one of these, but would offer this. Examine the space where you added the washer. If it doesn't exhibit wear or has very minimal wear between the 2 faces, then it doesn't need the washer.
That is how I'd approach it.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I have serviced around 15 of these 102s, but there are small variations on the motors, but this is the first time I found one without this washer. I don't know if it is a variation, or if someone have opened it in the past, and forgot the washer, or even a small error from the manufacture. I will look probably look around to see if I can find a spare thin washer, or as you suggest, leave it without a washer, even if I am hesitant to make amendments, and create possible wear on the motor, or cause the spring container to move innacurately etc.

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

I'd just be careful not to cause wear of the winding mechanism if the barrel rotation was too stiff because of the washer. If the amount of play was reasonable- and obviously you'd have to be the judge of that- then I'd leave it out. A few thousandths of an inch play is probably acceptable based on American Victor and Edison motors I've worked on. I wish you good luck dealing with yours ! Sometimes you have to just work out a situation to your satisfaction based on your evidences.