How do I replace spring in bullet brake?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

How do I replace spring in bullet brake?

Post by alang »

Working on a Victor IV that has gone through a hillbilly restoration. One problem I have is that the spring in the bullet brake is very weak and doesn’t work anymore. I thought this had been discussed before but can’t find it. Can this spring be replaced and if yes, how? I cannot find a way to remove the inner cylinder. The little knob that stops it from going too far forward doesn’t come out. I can turn it but it doesn’t unscrew. I cannot pull it out and wanted to check with the experts here before I use too much force. Any advice?

Thanks
Andreas
Attachments
IMG_0971.jpeg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: How do I replace spring in bullet brake?

Post by Jerry B. »

The back&forth lever on the brake comes into contact with a pin with a spinner. At one time I had the pin with spinner come apart from the rest of the brake. This allowed access to the spring. What I don't know is how the pin is attached from the factory. I believe I used a bit of epoxy to make the repair. I'd try to get the pin out to gain access to the spring.

Jerry B.

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

Thanks Jerry! Are you talking about the pin where the arrow points, or the pin between the two screw holes?

Thanks again
Andreas

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Yes, the pin that the arrow points to. It should be pressed in. But, removing the pin can be tricky. The pin is very small and could break easily. Adding heat should help. You will have to post your progress on this job.

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

Thanks for confirming the pin and great suggestion with the heat. I may have to get myself one of these pencil torches since my propane torch is not focused enough.

Thanks again
Andreas

alang
VTLA

Post by alang »

Sorry about the long silence. I went through several cycles of freezer and then heat, but that stupid pin did not move. In the end, the flat head of the pin started breaking, so I removed that completely which allowed me to remove the little sleeve and properly grab the remaining pin with locking pliers. Then I finally managed to get it out. The spring seemed not as much tired, but very short. Maybe a piece of it broke off and fell out at some point? Anyway, I had the proper size compression spring from an assortment I bought at Harbor Freight some time ago. I used a nail of the appropriate thickness to create a replacement pin and now it's working again as it should. Hope the pictures will help if someone else runs into the same issue.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions!

Andreas
IMG_1017.JPEG
IMG_1031.JPEG
IMG_1032.JPEG