Victor concert junior Long throat - how to open

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Victor concert junior Long throat - how to open

Post by JerryVan »

Be careful where you push so that you don't press the tube out of the back plate. You want 2 pieces when you're done, not 3.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The puller won't work, since there is no solid place to screw down the center post to push the back out. You are going to have to sacrifice the mica to push out the back. The puller might work if you insert a piece of metal through the front to bridge the long throat tube and provide a solid place to push against.

Your second option is probably the best, IF the two inside diameters in the steel block fit the reproducer. Raise it up so there is room enough to push the back and long throat tube out without restriction. Just tap gently around the inside edge until you see it start to move.

I did one years ago and the biggest problem I encountered was opening the end of the needle bar to insert and crimp the tiny wire that connects to the mica. Hopefully your wire is still attached to the needle bar.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I made a special tool to pull the reproducer apart. I will have to get some pictures. Make sure you put a piece of tape on both sides of the rim to get the orientation correct when re-assembling.

kropton
Victor I

Post by kropton »

yes, I know that is need to mark the place on the body and rim. in the case of bending the wire there will be no problem because I don't have old bar and I bought the whole repair kit ( needle bar with thumb screw, diaphragm, gaskets and wire. if possible, I will ask for photos of the tool, until I receive the parts, I am not opening the body yet, I think I should have them in about 2 weeks.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Here is the tool I made to pull apart Victor Concert reproducers. I machined a piece to fit inside the tube and then cut it in half. There is a groove for an o-ring. The beveled head machine screw gets drawn up inside and expands the two halves. This will hook the ends inside. The reproducer then is fit on the end of the large pipe and then I slowly screw the large nut tighter until the reproducer comes apart. It is best to either de-solder or cut the wire on the needle bar.
Attachments
IMG_1833.jpg
IMG_1833.jpg (189.43 KiB) Viewed 453 times
IMG_1834.jpg
IMG_1834.jpg (204.61 KiB) Viewed 453 times
IMG_1835.jpg
IMG_1835.jpg (159.74 KiB) Viewed 453 times

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Phono-Phan wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:40 pm Here is the tool I made to pull apart Victor Concert reproducers. I machined a piece to fit inside the tube and then cut it in half. There is a groove for an o-ring. The beveled head machine screw gets drawn up inside and expands the two halves. This will hook the ends inside. The reproducer then is fit on the end of the large pipe and then I slowly screw the large nut tighter until the reproducer comes apart. It is best to either de-solder or cut the wire on the needle bar.
Nice work!

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I forgot to mention that in addition to detaching the wire from the diaphragm that I also use a curved dental pick to loosen the diaphragm from the gaskets as I start to pull it apart.

kropton
Victor I

Post by kropton »

so this is a method that leaves the diaphragm undamaged. there is no fear that the throat will be separated from the inner part of the reproducer ?

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

For the most part, yes. The diaphragm sometimes is very stuck to the gaskets. That is why I use a curved dental pick to help loosen the diaphragm from the gasket.