Advice on Castors?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
PeteLeoni
Victor I
Personal Text: I know nothing (yet) help!

Re: Advice on Castors?

Post by PeteLeoni »

Lah Ca wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:51 pm The damaged caster (or castor ;) ) now with the JB Weld patch, posing next to the worn-out, purpose-built sanding tool.

Screenshot from 2023-08-06 17-40-01.png

It's weird to me how common sense use of things like JB Weld, glue, fillers abd just about anything else has gotten so uncommon that we all post about it (-:

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

PeteLeoni wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:39 pm It's weird to me how common sense use of things like JB Weld, glue, fillers abd just about anything else has gotten so uncommon that we all post about it (-:
Theory of mind.

The problem with common sense is that it is not "common" as in held collectively and equally in a population.

"Sense" (as in common sense) is actually idiosyncratic rather than common. "Common sense" is built upon individual experience, gained first hand or vicariously at second hand from others. It is an accumulation of knowledge that informs intuition and instantaneous understanding.

Many things about talking machines that were formerly baffling to me but which were "common sense" to others here are now common sense to me, as well, because of the kindness of people here willing to share the depth of their experience.

I did not know about JB Weld previously. And it would not have occurred to me to try using it to restore a worn out castor.

I did not know about Weldbond glue and its effectiveness at repairing cracked and broken 78s.

Etc. Etc.

PeteLeoni
Victor I
Personal Text: I know nothing (yet) help!

Post by PeteLeoni »

I didn't know about Weldbond either till just now, but I have repaired ex-wives successfully with JB Weld. (-:

Hit of the Week
Victor I

Post by Hit of the Week »

Lah Ca wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:12 pm
PeteLeoni wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:39 pm It's weird to me how common sense use of things like JB Weld, glue, fillers abd just about anything else has gotten so uncommon that we all post about it (-:
Theory of mind.

The problem with common sense is that it is not "common" as in held collectively and equally in a population.

"Sense" (as in common sense) is actually idiosyncratic rather than common. "Common sense" is built upon individual experience, gained first hand or vicariously at second hand from others. It is an accumulation of knowledge that informs intuition and instantaneous understanding.

Many things about talking machines that were formerly baffling to me but which were "common sense" to others here are now common sense to me, as well, because of the kindness of people here willing to share the depth of their experience.

I did not know about JB Weld previously. And it would not have occurred to me to try using it to restore a worn out castor.

I did not know about Weldbond glue and its effectiveness at repairing cracked and broken 78s.

Etc. Etc.
Great post, LahCa ! So true !

Iowa Dale