Restoration Suggestions for a 1920-1922 Silvertone Phonograph

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
lostinsound
Victor Jr

Restoration Suggestions for a 1920-1922 Silvertone Phonograph

Post by lostinsound »

I bought this Silvertone for my husband as a suprise and I know almost nothing about phonographs. I want to clean it up and fix whatever needs fixing.

My plan so far is to:

1. Clean the Wood Cabinet: - Use some naphtha and #0000 steel wool to get buildup and old furniture wax off, followed by a rinse with some Murphy's soap on a rag, and maybe a Gojo cream hand cleaner (without pumice). Then use mahogany Howard's Restore-a-Finish on any cracks and apply a coat of paste wax. I'm not sure if I should use a mahogany paste wax or regular one. I happen to have Howards citrus shield paste wax already, but have no issue buying a mahogany paste wax if that is better.

2. Clean the Platter: Possibly with a lint brush, additional suggestions welcome.

3. Replace the tonearm and reproducer: the ones on the machine are not original and I was able to locate a gold-plated silvertone tonearm and reproducer which I have ordered. Is there anything I should know about cleaning them and installing?

4. I have a Flintz metal paste to clean all the brass

5. Oil the motor: I need to do more research on how to do this

6. Possibly clean the motor if it is a two-spring Saal and easy to dissassemble, clean and reassemble. Resources and suggestions welcome.

7. The wood grill: This one is being tricky for me. I am using hide glue to try and repair as much as possible but I'm missing some wood where the grill pull drawer broke (5th picture).

8. Cleaning the grill cloth: I assume this is the original grill cloth (I found it inside the drawer) but I have no idea how to safetly clean it.

Any tips and suggestions would be much appreciated. I am trying to learn about the history of this silvertone and how to best get it cleaned up!
Attachments
PXL_20231010_225520615.MP.jpg
PXL_20230928_161346279.jpg
PXL_20230928_161153882.jpg
PXL_20230928_161140221.MP.jpg
PXL_20230928_161021034.MP.jpg
PXL_20230917_150123060.MP.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Restoration Suggestions for a 1920-1922 Silvertone Phonograph

Post by JerryVan »

1. Clean the Wood Cabinet: - Use some naphtha and #0000 steel wool to get buildup and old furniture wax off, followed by a rinse with some Murphy's soap on a rag, and maybe a Gojo cream hand cleaner (without pumice). Then use mahogany Howard's Restore-a-Finish on any cracks and apply a coat of paste wax. I'm not sure if I should use a mahogany paste wax or regular one. I happen to have Howards citrus shield paste wax already, but have no issue buying a mahogany paste wax if that is better. NO NAPTHA OR STEEL WOOL! USE THE GOJO AND MOVE FORWARD FROM THERE

2. Clean the Platter: Possibly with a lint brush, additional suggestions welcome. JUST VACUUM IT OFF

3. Replace the tonearm and reproducer: the ones on the machine are not original and I was able to locate a gold-plated silvertone tonearm and reproducer which I have ordered. Is there anything I should know about cleaning them and installing? GOOD THAT YOU FOUND THE CORRECT TONE ARM

4. I have a Flintz metal paste to clean all the brass THERE IS NO BRASS, ONLY GOLD PLATING. THE GOLD IS EXTREMELY THIN AND POLISH WILL MOST LIKELY REMOVE IT. CLEAN IT ONLY.

5. Oil the motor: I need to do more research on how to do this SOUNDS GOOD

6. Possibly clean the motor if it is a two-spring Saal and easy to dissassemble, clean and reassemble. Resources and suggestions welcome.

7. The wood grill: This one is being tricky for me. I am using hide glue to try and repair as much as possible but I'm missing some wood where the grill pull drawer broke (5th picture). USE PLENTY OF CLAMPS TO PULL THE BREAKS AND JOINTS TIGHTLY SHUT. TOO MANY FOLKS JUST POUR ON GLUE AND LEAVE IT AS-IS. MAKES IT TERRIBLE FOR THE NEXT PERSON TO FIX.

8. Cleaning the grill cloth: I assume this is the original grill cloth (I found it inside the drawer) but I have no idea how to safely clean it. IT'S NOT ORIGINAL CLOTH. BUY SOMETHING THIN AND SHEAR. MAYBE GREEN, MAROON, OR A COLOR THAT MATCHES THE TURNTABLE COLOR.

lostinsound
Victor Jr

Post by lostinsound »

Thank you for the suggestions. Any suggestions on the best place to get a cloth? Or just hit up Michaels or any store?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

lostinsound wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:04 pm Thank you for the suggestions. Any suggestions on the best place to get a cloth? Or just hit up Michaels or any store?
I usually go to JoAnn Fabrics. I usually look for something silky, with no print pattern. It should be very thin, but not see-through.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

For grill cloth I go to a fabric store and ask for the silky material that lines a nice jacket and pick a color that compliments your cabinet finish.

Jerry B.