"Stiff" Brunswick Panatrope Tone Arm

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

"Stiff" Brunswick Panatrope Tone Arm

Post by Granby »

Greetings! I have heard the horror stories over the years with pot metal tone tone arms getting really stiff or being "brittle." I know this is quite common with off brands and Columbia Grafonolas, but is this also an issue with the Brunswick Panatrope Style Tone Arm? Or, is this a pretty simple fix? If so, please share (or point me to a previous post, etc.) :D

Details: Instead of swinging freely and tracking across the record with ease, there is a LOT of horizontal residence.... very stiff! The resistance appears to be near the base of the tone arm where it pivots clockwise. I have another Panatope style tone arm that rotates freely with ease, no stiffness or resistance like the one in question. (I guess I am trying to find out if this can be serviced or repaired or is this an irreversible pot metal type issue....) ;)

Let me know if y'all need pictures. Thanks!!!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: "Stiff" Brunswick Panatrope Tone Arm

Post by JerryVan »

Pictures may help. I'm not aware that Panatrope arms used any pot metal. (But I may be mistaken...)

Granby
Victor II

Post by Granby »

JerryVan wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:41 pm Pictures may help. I'm not aware that Panatrope arms used any pot metal. (But I may be mistaken...)
Will do.... I will tinkering around later this afternoon and take a photo, thanks!

Granby
Victor II

Post by Granby »

JerryVan wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:41 pm Pictures may help. I'm not aware that Panatrope arms used any pot metal. (But I may be mistaken...)
Jerry, my apologies, I tinkered around yesterday and the day got away from me.... :lol:

Great news! I simply removed the tone arm applied a little gentle pressure and didn't notice the stiffness like I did when I first installed it. I did apply a tiny bit of WD-40 style lubricant a day or so ago, maybe it set in? Either way, the new arm has been installed and is swinging freely, there is absolutely no resistance tracking across the record now. Even if this simply a case of user error... ;) All is well now.

A sincere thank you for your help with this! See picture below. If I have some time later today or tomorrow, I will update my original thread from several months ago with my progress on rebuilding the grill, etc., etc.
Attachments
Brunswick Close Up 11.27.23.jpg
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph