Can a cracked brown wax cylinder be played?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
pogopete
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Hello

Can a cracked brown wax cylinder be played?

Post by pogopete »

Hello! I am new to this board and phonograph collecting as well.

I recently got an Edison Home Phonograph, and was wondering if I could safely play a cracked brown wax cylinder on in just once to hear and record the contents of it. I am mostly concerned that doing this will somehow damage the reproducer, as the crack is more than a hairline.

Should I do it? And if not, if there way to repair the cylinder?

Thanks!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Can a cracked brown wax cylinder be played?

Post by JerryVan »

It's not a good idea. Aside from possible damage to the stylus, the edges of the crack will be "hammered" by the stylus and further chipped away. Besides that, sliding it onto the taper will most likely spread the crack and break the cylinder further. There is a guy who repairs cracked cylinders. My understanding is, it's not cheap. So, such repairs are usually reserved for valuable cylinders. Therefore, the conundrum, if you can't play it, how do you know if it's desirable and worth repairing?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Tinfoil.com used to offer a cylinder transfer service. I don't know if it's still available but you could try them. Good luck in any case.

FredSugarHall_fan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: An enthusiastic collector of dance band 78rpm records from the 1920s and 1930s. I love Fred Hall!

Post by FredSugarHall_fan »

JerryVan wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:23 am It's not a good idea. Aside from possible damage to the stylus, the edges of the crack will be "hammered" by the stylus and further chipped away. Besides that, sliding it onto the taper will most likely spread the crack and break the cylinder further. There is a guy who repairs cracked cylinders. My understanding is, it's not cheap. So, such repairs are usually reserved for valuable cylinders. Therefore, the conundrum, if you can't play it, how do you know if it's desirable and worth repairing?
Thank you for the warning, although I really wish I'd looked at this thread a day earlier. Just tonight, I played my lone brown wax cylinder on my Edison Standard. It already had a deep crack down one side, and when I played it, the crack spread to the other side of the cylinder. I feel really stupid especially since it is brown wax and could be a unique recording. Granted it hasn't fallen apart yet but I certainly will NOT be playing it any time soon. I hope that other people out there will see this thread so that way nobody makes the same mistake I did tonight.

pogopete
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Hello

Post by pogopete »

JerryVan wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:23 am It's not a good idea. Aside from possible damage to the stylus, the edges of the crack will be "hammered" by the stylus and further chipped away. Besides that, sliding it onto the taper will most likely spread the crack and break the cylinder further. There is a guy who repairs cracked cylinders. My understanding is, it's not cheap. So, such repairs are usually reserved for valuable cylinders. Therefore, the conundrum, if you can't play it, how do you know if it's desirable and worth repairing?
Thank you very much for the information!

phonograph guy3435
Victor I
Personal Text: edison amberola guy

Post by phonograph guy3435 »

I've seen a website that uses a laser without actually touching the cylinder and it plays the brown wax cylinder fine. the video on the website has almost ¼ of the cylinder gone. I'll try to link the website below.
i don't know if the URL will work so just copy paste it into the URL bar.

https://www.endpointaudio.com/endpoint-cylinder-machine