Felt washers

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Phono-Phan
Victor V

Felt washers

Post by Phono-Phan »

What does everyone use to replace the felt washers on the motor boards for Victor phonographs. I have made some in the past from felt pads but there has to be a supplier for ones already made.

kiwiatlarge
Victor Jr

Re: Felt washers

Post by kiwiatlarge »

Phono-Phan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:14 pm What does everyone use to replace the felt washers on the motor boards for Victor phonographs. I have made some in the past from felt pads but there has to be a supplier for ones already made.
I use the felt pads used for the valves in brass musical instruments. I'm sure there are better solutions out there, though I'm sticking to these since I have a huge bag of them! I can't remember the ones I got, something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Yootones-Compati ... 4H6NB?th=1

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Maybe try here...

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/washe ... ?s=washers

If they're a little too thick you can slice them down with a razor blade.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I keep forgetting to check with McMaster-Carr. It is amazing how much they have. Thanks for the info. It looks like they would have the ones that would be a good fit.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

The wool felt washers from McMaster Carr came today and are great. I went with the ¼" I.D. and ¾" O.D. I will have to trim the thickness to size. Thanks for the suggestion!!!
Ken Brekke

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Phono-Phan wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:57 pm The wool felt washers from McMaster Carr came today and are great. I went with the ¼" I.D. and ¾" O.D. I will have to trim the thickness to size. Thanks for the suggestion!!!
Ken Brekke
Awesome! Happy that it worked out for you.