Do motor parts need to be nickel plated?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
pathe16mm
Victor Jr

Do motor parts need to be nickel plated?

Post by pathe16mm »

Hello,

I haven't posted here in years, but I'm getting back into machines and am rebuilding a two spring Victor motor. I heard advice through YouTube to remove motor grease by soaking in water and Simple Green. I guess I left it soaking a little too long (a week), because something reacted and took most of the plating off the gears. Now they look like they're down to copper underplating. Do these need to be replated before reassembling?

Thanks

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Do motor parts need to be nickel plated?

Post by JerryVan »

No. The gears were only copper plated to begin with. You simply cleaned them back to the original copper plating. Looks like you did a great job :)

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It worked good for you, but it's not a good idea to soak motor parts or metal in water. It allows rust to access nooks and crannies... diesel or kerosene is a better choice.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

pathe16mm
Victor Jr

Post by pathe16mm »

Hello again,

Thanks for the input. I was hoping to find something to use besides naphtha and the like due to the fumes, flammability, and trouble with disposing of it. But obviously this wasn't the solution.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

pathe16mm wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:26 pm Hello again,

Thanks for the input. I was hoping to find something to use besides naphtha and the like due to the fumes, flammability, and trouble with disposing of it. But obviously this wasn't the solution.
PM sent.