Rubber Cal Custom Gaskets

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Lah Ca
Victor III

Rubber Cal Custom Gaskets

Post by Lah Ca »

I have corresponded with a friendly customer service rep at Rubber Cal, asking about their custom gasket fabrication service--the reply:

"For custom fabrications, we can cut parts like your gaskets and there is no real minimum order but they have to be waterjet cut so the programming and setup costs would ideally be spread over a large production run resulting in a lower unit cost. Material cost for small parts like yours is negligible."

https://www.rubbercal.com/industrial-ru ... gasketing/

So the service would probably be prohibitively expensive for one-offs. But if anyone is running a gramophone parts/service business, it might be worthwhile having gaskets for common major brands and models fabricated, particularly if a group of vendors could pool orders.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Rubber Cal Custom Gaskets

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

As far as I see, there is no such thing as "pooling vendors", not here in Europe at least, but on the contrary people who are very jealous of their suppliers, which are carefully kept secret.

So, would it be possible to get an idea of the cost for - say - 1 single piece, 10 pieces, 100 pieces? That would give a gross idea of what to expect also for orders in between.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:36 am So, would it be possible to get an idea of the cost for - say - 1 single piece, 10 pieces, 100 pieces? That would give a gross idea of what to expect also for orders in between.
The implication from the sales rep's reply is that there would not be a large difference in the cost of 1, 10, or 100 pieces since the majority of the cost is the labour involved in programming the gasket design and the setting up of the water jet machine.

I suppose, I or we could ask for a non-binding guesstimate. The cost might also change if one were able to provide a CAD file in a form they could either use directly or parse.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I'm assuming you're looking for a replacement for the rubber gasket at the top of the tone arm stand on your portable? What inside & outside diameters and thickness do you need?

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:36 am So, would it be possible to get an idea of the cost for - say - 1 single piece, 10 pieces, 100 pieces? That would give a gross idea of what to expect also for orders in between.
No. It seems it is not possible to get an abstract ballpark guesstimate of what the cost might be. Well, they are unwilling to provide such an guesstimate. Whether it is impossible for them or not is debatable. But in the end, it is impossible for me to get such a guesstimate.

However, they will provide quotes for real jobs, small or large. So if you (Marco), you (the TMF community plural), or I sent them a request for a quote, they would do one up.

And they do not work with CAD files. But they do need measurements, and a drawing would be helpful. PDF seems to be the file form of choice.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

JerryVan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:12 pm I'm assuming you're looking for a replacement for the rubber gasket at the top of the tone arm stand on your portable? What inside & outside diameters and thickness do you need?
Yes. And more.

There are two gaskets for the Roberts Bestone that I need to come up with. At the moment, I have a plan A and a plan B. Plan A is that I try cutting them from material that is being shipped to me. Plan B is that I make a mould and make them out of silicone sealer.

Also the back flange gaskets for my AV reproducers are serviceable (they rejuvenated acceptably well) but a bit squashed and distorted. It would be nice to have spares.

At the moment, I am still having fun.

If (when) I cease having fun and if your post is an offer to cut gaskets, I will get back to you. :D

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Lah Ca wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:21 pm
JerryVan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:12 pm I'm assuming you're looking for a replacement for the rubber gasket at the top of the tone arm stand on your portable? What inside & outside diameters and thickness do you need?
If (when) I cease having fun and if your post is an offer to cut gaskets, I will get back to you. :D
It was more to see what commercially available gaskets/washers might be available.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

JerryVan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:15 pm It was more to see what commercially available gaskets/washers might be available.
Same deal either way. :D Thank you.

I have checked the websites of McMaster-Carr and Grainger (Canada). The problem is not necessarily the sizes but more the materials and colour. Ideally I would like something in white or natural rubber off-white/beige/grey.
Last edited by Lah Ca on Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

I found this company, which sells 3.5" by 7" sample sheets of natural gum rubber in various thicknesses for $10.00 US each. Free shipping I think for the continental US.

https://rubbersheetwarehouse.com/produc ... -tan-40a-5