Help cleaning a tin phonograph?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Help cleaning a tin phonograph?

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Not a bad idea.

One last thing you *might* try before giving up is a product that is sold here in EU under the name Chanteclair (I suppose you might get it via amazon or alikes, if there is no local equivalent). Despite its funny Marseille soap perfume that recalls washerwomen of bygone days, this is extremely powerful. It is - just to mention an application that I use frequently - much more efficient in removing old finger dirt deposited on radio knobs than gasoline itself. :shock: So no joke, really. On the other hand, it's obvious that more caution is needed with it than with Glassex / Windex - as said earlier, try it on a hidden or however already damaged spot where any possible further damage would pass almost unnoticed.

Then yes, wait for some A.I. laser dirt remover or alike! :D

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"I definitely wouldn't do that on a machine that still has its original decals."

Marco,
I agree, but that "dirt" is surface rust under the decals, which won't clean off. It hasn't been cared for and stored in damp conditions, so there are only two choices: (1) leave it as is, or (2) strip it and repaint it. Since it isn't a rare machine, either option would work.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

For sure it doesn't look to me like "rust under decals". :|

An Balores
Victor I

Post by An Balores »

I'd still be tempted to cautiously try a little T-cut......but unless you are very careful, there is the risk of removing too much of the paintwork. I had a dull-looking metal horn that came up beautifully with some careful T-cutting followed up by polishing off with wax.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I wouldn’t use T-Cut, it is too abrasive. In America they sell an excellent alternative ‘Meguiars fine cut cleaner’. The finest cleaner they do. Applied with a soft cloth or cotton wool.

When I used to stay in Indiana my friends collected and sold old tin beer cans, coffee cans and tobacco tins. Some of these were extremely valuable and they used the above product even on a cone top beer can worth $1000.

I would give this a go but go carefully incase the printing/decals are not well fixed. If the surface looks rather matt it may not be well fixed. If the cotton starts to show paint and not just dirt then stop. :D Otherwise keep changing the cotton and applying fresh cleaner.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

You could try a paste of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), but very cautiously.

Mix up a little.

Use it gently with something like a surgical swab in an small area less visible as a test.

If the tin actually has decals and is not just lithograph painted (or similar), stay away from them.

The paste is only mildly abrasive, but it is abrasive.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

This site provides some good tips, and echoes some of the comments made here --

https://moodymabel.com/blogs/the-moody- ... tical-tips

There are also a few videos that have been posted over the years -- https://www.google.com/search?lr=&sca_e ... 95&dpr=1.4

OrthoFan

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

I suggest Gojo on a cotton swab to to see if it cleans it at all.
Next try Flitz on a cotton swab to see if it removes any oxidation.

James. :coffee: