Motor speed adjustment

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Yan_1125
Victor Jr

Motor speed adjustment

Post by Yan_1125 »

Hi! New member here, although I've been reading various forum topics for a while now.

I've been dealing with a bit of a mystery regarding the adjustment of motor speed from a 1940s portable German 'Odeon' phonograph I got recently, in appearance almost identical to the HMV 102. I've completely rebuilt the motor, including disassembling and cleaning the spring and all of the gears, lubricating them with fresh grease etc., but I haven't been able to completely take apart the governor. That being said the governor spins freely and has sufficient play moving back and forth, but even when set at the slowest speed the motor runs waaay too fast, and the governor weights start hitting one of the gears as they stretch outward. The reason I can't take out the governor is that the holders with the ball bearings are completely seized from old oil, so I'll have to come up with something (perhaps by heating them up). The weights are held in by a brass 'block' that can be loosened with a screw and moved left or right for adjustment, and then between sits a spring which applies pressure to the disc used for braking.

The question I'm facing is should the brake disc on the governor also be free to move back and forth, as mine is completely stuck in place? I think it should, because what would then be the point of the spring?
Any suggestions?

Weights taken off and spring moved away from the disc:

upload images

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Motor speed adjustment

Post by JerryVan »

I'll have to come up with something (perhaps by heating them up).
Yes!
The question I'm facing is should the brake disc on the governor also be free to move back and forth, as mine is completely stuck in place?
Yes also! You can use heat here too. Just go easy with it. Don't get it too hot.

Yan_1125
Victor Jr

Re: Motor speed adjustment

Post by Yan_1125 »

Thanks a lot for the info!