Playing Edison Diamonds (or other vertical cut) with cont...

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Playing Edison Diamonds (or other vertical cut) with con

Post by alang »

I took three strands of copper wire from a speaker wire and twisted them together to form a thicker strand. Then I looped it in form of an "8" around the two terminal pins with the ends of the wire sticking out at both ends. Then I pulled on these ends to make sure the "8" was tight around the pins and cut off the ends. In order to keep it tight I pushed little pieces of insulation from electrical wire onto the pins. Ideally one would have an extra wire like those connecting the headshell to the cartridge, but for now this simple solution seems to work.

Andreas

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Playing Edison Diamonds (or other vertical cut) with con

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

As written earlier (but admittedly in a way that was hard to understand) an advisable way to wire the cartridge in mono is to use a single copper wire wounded up in twin-coil form, just as Shure does at factory with their 78 cartridges (which, as almost always happens, is not a native monoaural cartridge). The copper wire of the approriate size can be extracted from single core cables used in electronics prototyping, easily available at any electronic components shop. The "coils" are to be wounded around a support which is slightly smaller than the pick-up's prongs, so that the coils will fit and make a good contact by pressure. The rod of a precision screwdriver of approriate gauge usually makes a good support.

The connection will be very stable, with no vibration/contacts issues even on the long run, "clean" to look at, and easily removed if needed. (picture taken from the internet)
Attachments
ShureM78Sback.JPG
ShureM78Sback.JPG (16.77 KiB) Viewed 785 times