VV-210, spun the spring, now turntbl gear is knocking, arghh

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
frenchmarky
Victor I

VV-210, spun the spring, now turntbl gear is knocking, arghh

Post by frenchmarky »

I had a come and go problem with this machine where once in a blue moon it would begin to slow down on a record, so I went in to relube/readjust the motor stuff. But I made a rookie mistake bigtime and I dropped out the governor before unwinding or jamming the motor spring. Thee motor spring spun like crazy along with a very bad "BRRRRRR" noise till I could get it stopped. Now I wonder if I damaged the turntable gear. Symptom now is that every table revolution, it's making 4 distinct knocks and I can feel the gov'r getting hung up on those spots on the turntable round gear. I think the governor spiral is ok, and the turntable spiral + spring gear wouldn't be making that noise once per table spin. Does this sound reasonable?

Can anybody help me with how to pull the turntable shaft and gear out, after removing the gear screw? Dunno if the gear is hammered onto the shaft or what but taking the screw out the gear is still tight on the shaft, just pulling up on the shaft doesn't do anything and I don't want to start banging away at stuff and make another stupid goof!

If I determine the turntbl gear is damaged, since it's jamming I hope some teeth may only have to be filed in spots to correct it (?) If I have to replace it, are new ones available? Or if using old replacement parts, would it be a problem only replacing the turntbl gear alone or would I need a matching governor from the same parts machine?

Boy I feel stupid, was getting ready to deliver this machine to a friend and now this.
Thank you!

frenchmarky
Victor I

Re: VV-210, spun the spring, now turntbl gear is knocking, arghh

Post by frenchmarky »

After putting it back together, I think the original problem was the turntable gear set screw may have been just a little loose or at least not tight enough, cuz once I really cranked down on that good, everything is back to normal. Re tightening it was the only thing I changed so that's sole explanation I can come up with anyway. Also I was able to loosen that gear on the shaft and twist it up and down it a little, but decided against trying to pull it completely. Was on so snug it felt like it might end up damaging the worm gear if I tried working it all the way up... if I'd even been able to do it. Thanks

squeeker7
Victor O

Post by squeeker7 »

Glad to hear your machine is well again. Isn't that a thrill removing the gov with the spring wound
up..................don't ask me how I know this

frenchmarky
Victor I

Post by frenchmarky »

squeeker7 wrote:Glad to hear your machine is well again. Isn't that a thrill removing the gov with the spring wound
up..................don't ask me how I know this
This time for me it was "I just want to loosen and readjust this one governor bearing, I'll be extra careful" : /
Or else it happens when you've been working on the thing with the spring totally unwound, then crank in some windings to test it. Do a little backtracking for one more tweak but forget that you wound it up!