Victrola XVI Reproducer Flange Stuck on Tonearm

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
98indypacer
Victor Jr

Victrola XVI Reproducer Flange Stuck on Tonearm

Post by 98indypacer »

I have a Victrola XVI this is an early model with smaller tonearm around 1912. The reproducer flange is stuck on the tonearm and I'm not able to rotate it to remove it. It looks like there is some greenish corrosion in that area. I removed the reproducer from the flange and have the tonearm elbow with flange soaking in WD40. Any thoughts on how to remove the flange if the WD40 doesn't work?

Thanks, Ed

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Victrola XVI Reproducer Flange Stuck on Tonearm

Post by Phonofreak »

Penetrating oil should work on it. It will cut through the greenish corrosion on the fitting. the fitting inside the black rubber will have to be replaced. I'd suggest that you get a back flange for the reproducer. It sounds like the one you have is already shot. Good luck,
Harvey Kravitz

98indypacer
Victor Jr

Re: Victrola XVI Reproducer Flange Stuck on Tonearm

Post by 98indypacer »

Thanks for the ideas from Harvey and Jerry B. The flange still would not budge after being submerged in WD40 for about 6 hours. Since the flange was original it was hard due to age. I was going to have to replace it anyway so I just broke the old rubber off by hand. Once the rubber was gone I was left with just the copper ring. The ring has a raised area that was easy to grip with pliers so I was then able to work it free with more WD40.