Repairing and preserving cracked 78 rpm records

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Repairing and preserving cracked 78 rpm records

Post by Curt A »

On another record related topic, I found a way to preserve valuable 78's that may be cracked, but not broken into pieces.

The perfect glue for the job is called WeldBond Glue. You can find it by Googling the name and you will probably have to purchase it online, since I have not had much luck finding regular distributors. The key to this method is that WeldBond is a white, water soluble glue, which adheres most types of material - plastic, foam, glass, metal, wood and IS NOT the same as white Elmer's glue or white wood glue.

The method is as follows: place a stripe of the glue along the crack - first on one side - and flex the record slightly while forcing the glue into the crack with a finger. Wipe the excess off with a "damp" - not wet - paper towel while going in the direction of the grooves. Make sure to clean all excess off the grooves, then proceed to do the same on the other side. Lay the record on a glass surface or other smooth flat surface and let it dry for 24 hrs. Then play the record with a steel needle to clean any leftover glue from the grooves and to smooth out the seam. Your record may make a slight sound passing over the repair, but it will be as solid as new and no danger of further cracking or breakage. I have used this method successfully on many rare records, but remember it is extremely important to use WeldBond glue, not super glue or any other type.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Repairing and preserving cracked 78 rpm records

Post by Phonofreak »

In my 20+ years of collecting, I have used super glue with no problems. I squeeze out a tiny drop of ACC(super glue) onto the outer edge of the record. I then carefully move the broken part so the ACC flows into the crack with a capillary action. I then remove excess with a paper towel to clean out the grooves. After it dries and cures in an 8 hr period, I play the record with a steel needle to clean out the residue the grooves. Our methods are very similar but with a different glue.
Harvey Kravitz

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Harvey,
Your method does sound similar. The reason I mentioned not using super glue is that I have heard from collectors who couldn't get the glue out of the grooves after mending. Some also drilled a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from continuing and this method avoids all of the problems, since the glue is water soluble when uncured. The WeldBond is a universal glue which is also somewhat flexible. It also works well to glue felt on turntables, fix loose wooden joints, glue cabinets together, etc. and is extremely strong when cured.
Curt

amrcg
Victor I

Post by amrcg »

I have a problem that is probably related with this, though it is not exactly the same. I have a record which is quite OK except for a tiny portion (1 inch) of a groove, which is visibly damaged, since it's too large (the width is approximately doubled and it's like it has been dug with a very large needle. When the needle passes there, it often gives a small jump, which is nevertheless quite noticeable. Sometimes, with bamboo needle, there is no jump and you barely notice it.
I thought that the record was not recoverable and so I bought an identical one, and now I have two identical records. Do you think that it is possible to apply some glue or shellac to close the groove a bit so that the needle does not jump anymore? Thanks in advance.

António

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

This is something that I thought of asking just recently. I got an Edison disc that otherwise is rather nice, but right in the middle is a very deep hole about the a ⅛' wide. I think someone dropped perhaps the arm on it and it dug a hole? I have pondered if anything could be used to fill the hole without putting the diamond at risk when it passes over it?

Larry

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

I have not tried those types of repairs, although I have considered repairing edge chips with JB Weld. As far as repairing a needle dig or missing groove, I am not sure anything would work that might not catch the needle, especially risky on a diamond disc machine / record. I might try it on a regular 78 where the only risk is a disposable steel needle. If anyone has any ideas on this, it might be something to research and experiment with.
Curt
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Orthophonic
Victor I

Post by Orthophonic »

I wonder if a tiny spot of car body putty pressed into place and then grooved with a needle would work? I'm thinking of the spot putty rather than the type you mix like Bondo or similar although they might also work. Anyway it would be a tiny and tedious process.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

For needle digs I have used a black Crayola crayon, worked into the dig with a toothpick. After a play with a steel needle playing with a modern stylus should be much improved. Perhaps a tick or two, but at least it should not get hung up anymore.
Adam

Calle
Victor O

Post by Calle »

For a needle dig I always use black nail polish (and using a toothpick to add it).

RAK402
Victor II

Post by RAK402 »

I received a record that I really wanted from Ebay, but was cracked all the way through one side and almost all the way through the other. I tried playing it, and it played (with two "tick" per revolution.

I figured, rather than throw it out, I would try CA on it (as someone above mentioned).

It worked! The "tick tick" is still there, but I can play the record.