Must have tools and products

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Orthophonic
Victor I

Re: Must have tools and products

Post by Orthophonic »

Some more to add is plastic tweezers if you like working with bearings in Orthophonic sound boxes and a mix of gasoline and diesel fuel that resulted when diesel was accidentally put into my S-10. Dont ask me how I know about this :roll: I also have found that the moly engine assembly lube works great for springs and for general greasing that needs done in motors. Heavier grease is needed to seal tone arm joints, though. BTW, I'd like to find some of those spring pliers as springs sometimes give me fits!

bobsled48
Victor O

Post by bobsled48 »

Anyone have a picture or drawing of spring pliers ? Sure would be great to have, Bob S

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

When I was running my shop - skis, not phonographs - I found a radio almost indispensable!

SquireWill
Victor O

Post by SquireWill »

m0xiemama wrote:I am setting up a bit of a workshop so I can start on some of these projects. I am looking for some input in what things I should be sure I have on hand before starting. Tools,products, anything you can think of.

Thanks,
Andrea
You know, I think the tool I use the most is my air compressor ,but I would be lost without being able to use mine.

Confettihead
Victor Jr
Personal Text: www.johnsojourner.com

Post by Confettihead »

I find a camera and tripod to be very helpful to record the teardown. If I forget tiny details during reassembly I can always refer to it.

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

A set of pin punches for freeing up tough bearings and spring barrel shafts. Aluminum or brass are best but you can get away with using steel because it doesn't take much force to free them. When using steel punches I put a scrap of leather over the part I'm striking.

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

Beeswax.

vichighmathguy
Victor O

Post by vichighmathguy »

"I wish someone would produce the spring hooking and spring bending pliers, the ones I used had belonged to Clarence Furguson. "

Is there a chance you could post photos of these tools? I would love to see them. Thank you!

Don

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

Holy Old-Thread Revival Batman! Glad you did, there are some really good insights in here...

vichighmathguy
Victor O

Post by vichighmathguy »

edisonphonoworks wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:54 am I wish someone would produce the spring hooking and spring bending pliers, the ones I used had belonged to Clarence Furguson.
I would love to see photos of those tools. Here is a pair of spring bending pliers that I have had for decades. I made a few sets about 40 years ago out of low grade pipe, but should have made them out of mild steel like these as they are stronger and not prone to bending. Anyone else have photos of original phonograph tools?
IMG_7001 (1).jpeg
IMG_7002 (1).jpeg