Must have tools and products

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
m0xiemama
Victor II

Must have tools and products

Post by m0xiemama »

I am setting up a bit of a workshop so I can start on some of these projects. I am looking for some input in what things I should be sure I have on hand before starting. Tools,products, anything you can think of.

Thanks,
Andrea

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Must have tools and products

Post by HisMastersVoice »

These things are simple, not a ton required. A variety of small flat head screwdrivers is essential, using the correct size prevents marring of screw heads. Beyond that, a set of small crescent wrenches and a pair of needle-nose pliers is helpful, and I've had to use a hammer a few times. All pretty standard stuff. 3-in-1 oil and a good grease (white lithium, or the stuff for brake drums) is all you need to maintain a motor, and mineral spirits is all you need to clean it. For cabinets, GoJo, Howard's Feed-n-Wax, and Guardsman Furniture polish is all I use. And if you don't want all of the above on your hands, a big box of latex gloves.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I agree with all of Brandon's suggestions, with the possible exception of 3-in-One oil. I used it for years, but found that it becomes gummy with time. Now I use light synthetic oil available at hardware stores or bike shops. I particularly like Tri-Flow.

In addition to Brandon's suggestions, I'd clarify that an assortment of screwdrivers should include jewelers screwdrivers for the tiny little guys we deal with. I'd also add:

* Liquid Wrench (PB Blaster works well, but what a stink!)
* an inexpensive propane torch available at hardware stores or Lowe's/Home Depot
* 6 furniture clamps 2 feet or longer
* carpenter's yellow glue
* hacksaw
* A decent drill press ($125-$175 at Sears/Lowe's/Home Depot)
* (optional) a Drill Doctor ($99 anywhere) to sharpen drill bits. Saves time immediately, money eventually, and much frustration. I hate having to stop and run out to buy a new drill bit. I haven't had to do that for years. Used it just last week as a bit dulled up drilling through metal. In 5 minutes I was drilling again with a like-new drill bit.
* A bench grinder/wire wheel
* and speaking of bench...good and heavy, with no wobble.
* a large and a small bench vice. I have 4 on my bench - one sits on top to hold things I'm working on.
* good lighting - - don't be in your own shadow. I use 2 movable gantry lights plus the overhead.
* a sheet of mahogany veneer and a sheet of oak veneer.
* Exacto knife
* an assortment of sandpaper grades
* an assortment of steel wool grades - and use them!
* ...and last but not least: a variable-speed Dremel tool. Absolutely essential for fine cutting, polishing, etc. You'll need several types of cutting wheels too - especially the reinforced type.

Wow - that went on much longer than I thought. I was going to get into the variety of stains, shellac, and polishes (don't forget the Nevr-Dull), but I've gone on long enough...

George P.

edison11
Victor Jr

Post by edison11 »

Though George gave you an extensive and very correct list of tools you will need for your upcoming projects, I would like to add two more that he failed to mention. You will also need a 55 gallon drum of patience (my barrel is almost empty and needs re-filling at times) and a six-pack to celebrate when your successes come from a job well done, which will happen :D Robert

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

The best inexpensive investment that you could ever make is a variety of "hollow ground" screwdriver tips whose blades vary in width and thickness. If you are not familiar with those, Google "hollow ground screwdriver". I bought mine through a local gun store for $3 apiece. They are what the professional gunsmiths use to disassemble customers' expensive shotguns. They are the least likely to jump out and bugger a slotted screw, unlike cheap tapered screwdrivers. Also, Sears used to sell a nice set of miniature Craftsman jewelers screwdrivers, both flat and Phillips. They are tough and have large plastic handles to give good torque, better than those cheap skinny jewelers screwdrivers you find at the dollar store.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

one of the most useful tools I have added and can recommend is an ultrasonic cleaner. I have found it invaluable in cleaning all the various parts when rebuilding/restoring.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

m0xiemama
Victor II

Post by m0xiemama »

Thank you all for the suggestions. By the looks of it I am not doing too bad as I have many of those things already. I relly appreciate everyone's willingness to help a novice out. :)

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

rags, lots of rags, and alcohol... the drinking kind.

m0xiemama
Victor II

Post by m0xiemama »

Done and done. The Mr paints cars for a living. It has similar must haves I guess.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I wish someone would produce the spring hooking and spring bending pliers, the ones I used had belonged to Clarence Furguson. They save a lot of time and headache, and make spring hookup almost too easy!. I also would say a grease gun and Mobile 1 synthetic grease, some planter graphite, to add to they synthetic grease for spring grease. You should mount wooden Jorgesen clamps, to your bench for spring remeoval. I have lots of miniature pliers, and needle nose ones. A bugler for striping is good too to put the pin stripes back on the bed plates. Shellac, various awls.