SOLD: Edison Standard Model A -$400

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

SOLD: Edison Standard Model A -$400

Post by dzavracky »

For sale is this really nice Edison Standard model A. It was the discussion of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47725&hilit=Edison+standard

I’ve gone over the motor and was able to quiet some of the gear noise. It runs really well (it will play 4-5 records on a full wind). Here is a link to the machine playing.

https://youtu.be/gPnnmgSfwNE

The machine comes with the model C pictured, the article about Mrs. Lizzie Hauser, and the 3 pictures I printed off showing the before and after. I do not have a horn to go with it.

Price is $425 + shipping. It will be packed very carefully. First to reply SOLD gets it.

Thanks for looking

David
Attachments
0FFC7DCD-21DC-4CCB-9D6C-AC93B84F358A.png
DE5E2C02-2A6F-487E-B979-F3EC75833F22.png
1C7F2DE7-CF96-483A-89AF-DA900AE5601D.png
5536E8CE-363C-4F15-BC12-A8994BB991E8.png
ECAB5FF6-BB8A-4502-B39F-EF82A3FFC954.png
63E3DF8E-0918-403B-8FCC-1E3E82C68003.png
8A6BECA5-BE45-423C-B0EE-11D7EF27FACD.png
Last edited by dzavracky on Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Re: For sale: Edison Standard Model A -$425

Post by dzavracky »

Bump with new price

dzavracky
Victor IV

Re: For sale: Edison Standard Model A -$400

Post by dzavracky »

Bump

Johnny Town Mouse
Victor Jr

Post by Johnny Town Mouse »

SOLD! Thanks David!

I actually joined this forum because I was looking for an Edison Standard and a contact at the Antique Phonographic Society recommended I look here. Feel free to send me a message about payment :)

dzavracky
Victor IV

Re: SOLD: Edison Standard Model A -$400

Post by dzavracky »

PM sent!

David

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Johnny Town Mouse wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:00 pm SOLD! Thanks David!

I actually joined this forum because I was looking for an Edison Standard and a contact at the Antique Phonographic Society recommended I look here. Feel free to send me a message about payment :)
Congratulations Johnny!

David is a good friend of mine & he is a very thorough repairman. I can assure you that this example is a top-shelf example of the Edison Standard A, provenance and all. He's demonstrated over the phone to me that this one has a nice quiet-running motor (Standards are often quite loud) and he has sent photo after photo showing its cleanup and transformation. This is a real Rip van Winkle machine.

I think you'll very much enjoy listening to records on this--If you need new cylinders, check out Edisonia Records and the Vulcan Cylinder Record Company. Vulcan has a great online shop where you can buy records from your own armchair.

Johnny Town Mouse
Victor Jr

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:55 pm
Johnny Town Mouse wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:00 pm SOLD! Thanks David!

Congratulations Johnny!

David is a good friend of mine & he is a very thorough repairman. I can assure you that this example is a top-shelf example of the Edison Standard A, provenance and all. He's demonstrated over the phone to me that this one has a nice quiet-running motor (Standards are often quite loud) and he has sent photo after photo showing its cleanup and transformation. This is a real Rip van Winkle machine.

I think you'll very much enjoy listening to records on this--If you need new cylinders, check out Edisonia Records and the Vulcan Cylinder Record Company. Vulcan has a great online shop where you can buy records from your own armchair.
Thanks and yeah I read through a lot of the old thread about the phonograph and am glad about the provenance that comes with it too. I'm excited to have it, its definitely going to a good home, we will be sure to treat it well. On that note (pun intended lol) is there a good resource for how to take best care of it?

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

It shouldn’t need much more than the occasional oiling. I’ve already gone over the motor and the top works.

David

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

@JohnnyTownMouse I used to have a Standard A--not in this kind of condition--and yeah, a half a drop of sewing machine oil on places where shafts turn in holes is a pretty good maintenance regimen. No oil on the belt, oil your idler pulley every few months, and you should be in good shape on grease for awhile.

A camel's-hair brush will clean the stylus.

I wouldn't set it in sunlight much as that can fade the green finish & the decal.

Otherwise, it's lasted nearly 120 years and can still play music. Not an easy thing to mess up.

Johnny Town Mouse
Victor Jr

Thanks guys!