Post by victrolaguy88 »

Thanks everyone.
Attachments
2012-11-11 14.27.26.jpg
VV-260  2.jpg
VV-260  3.jpg
VV-260  4.jpg
VV-260 1.jpg
Last edited by victrolaguy88 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomwil
Victor I

Re: Looking to sell my VV-260

Post by tomwil »

This thread probably belongs in the Yankee Trader section.

Your Victrola is apparently not very desirable to collectors, because of its shape and takes up more floor space.

As for value, it is hard to determine. There was a VV-260 available in your area here, that I was interested in. However, someone chimed in saying that it was probably worth around $200, which was more than I was willing to spend.

Yours does look nice. Perhaps a Craigslist ad might be an option.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

This is an instance where the sentimental value is greater than what you would get for it. These humpback console models aren't very popular with collectors even if they are in as nice condition as yours.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I have a basement full of old talking machines and none came from a member of my family. You have no idea how much it would mean to me to have my grandfather's Victrola. That's my honest opinion. Jerry Blais

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

I agree with Jerry because I own an old "family" Edison Triumph handed down from generation to generation that I would NEVER consider selling. That being said, there was a Victor VV-260 in supurb working condition that I was eyeing at a local flea market this past September. The asking price was $250.00 but I kept going up and down all the isles thinking that near the end of the flea market time he would come way down. Well he did come way down, someone snagged it just before me and the seller was very happy not to re-load the monster in his van. He took $125.00 for it. I would have paid that if I had acted sooner but no more than the $125.00 due to lack of room for those big big machines. Plus like everone said, there is very little interest in those Victor humpbacks......

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Jerry B. wrote:I have a basement full of old talking machines and none came from a member of my family. You have no idea how much it would mean to me to have my grandfather's Victrola. That's my honest opinion. Jerry Blais
Seconded. The first Victrola I ever saw was my grandfather's, and playing it started a lifelong passion (which is pronounced "obsession"). I last saw it 20+ years ago, tucked away in my cousin's attic, unused, and unloved.

briankeith
Victor IV

Re: VV-260

Post by briankeith »

Ahhhhhh, an unloved Victrola, poor thing that once made people dance around the house in the roaring twenties :lol:

victrolaguy88
Victor Jr

Post by victrolaguy88 »

Thanks for the input everyone. I do understand where everyone is coming from about keeping something that was my grandfather's. He was a great guy but I am keeping his Edison C-19 as a family keepsake, although I do know those are a very common machine too. Luckily he got a brass Kentone adapter for it with a nice Victor No. 2 reproducer so I can still play the 78's on it.

Unfortunately, my apartment in Philadelphia doesn't have enough room for both so I am parting with one of them. My mother and father have pretty much put a cap on the stuff I can keep at their place in Upstate NY. I used to rebuild pianos and before I started collecting phonographs, accumulated a fine collection of pianos. I've become quite the accomplished jazz pianist with a love for music from the 1920's, as it is my favorite decade in American history. Between a collection of fine pianos and now phonographs, I have to draw the line somewhere... :o

briankeith
Victor IV

Post by briankeith »

A machine like that would probably fetch $125.00 - $150.00 in your area since it cannot be shipped. Craigs list maybe, EBay not.

tomwil
Victor I

Post by tomwil »

victrolaguy88 wrote:Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forum but am definitely acquainted with this place :) . I've been building up a small collection of phonographs since I was given my grandfather's old VV-260. Little did I know that once inheriting one phonograph, one may become addicted to collecting more! Haha. I'm 24 and living in Philadelphia now going to college and would like to sell one of them.
I'd like to sell my grandfather's old VV-260. It's in pretty good shape. It does have a crack in the lid from when he was moving it somewhere. He moved dozens of times in pursuit of the perfect house. He had someone fix it when it happened back in the 1980's. The finish is in great shape for it's age. It was built in 1923 and has the serial number 37322. It has a brilliant brown mahogany finish and I'm not sure when, but pretty sure Victor must have fixed or altered the finish at one time. I found a tag inside it entitled "Outside Repair" with the machine's information on it.
The nickel finish on the tone arm and reproducer are in fantastic shape. Looks nearly brand new. I had the reproducer rebuilt last year and it sounds amazing. The motor could probably stand a good cleaning and regreasing. It plays great now, clips along at 78rpm without hesitation, but makes just an ever so little amount of noise occasionally.
I'm looking to sell it for around $300, or best offer. I'd like to sell it relatively soon. It is taking up the corner where I plan on putting my Christmas tree. I'm located in South Philadelphia in the beautiful Passyunk square area. If you're interested in it or know anyone that may, don't hesitate to contact me.
I look forward to meeting everyone and becoming more acquainted in the forum. I'll post some pictures of my machines in my growing collection. Thanks everyone! :)
Not sure why the original post was changed. I should learn to quote the post I'm responding to.

Edit: Just noticed that this has been on Craigslist since Oct 24th.