New-In-Crate Edison S-19 in Ohio! Craigslist find.

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
jharrellh
Victor Jr

New-In-Crate Edison S-19 in Ohio! Craigslist find.

Post by jharrellh »

coyote
Victor II

Re: New-In-Crate Edison S-19 in Ohio! Craigslist find.

Post by coyote »

I should check that one out...IF the weather and my schedule would permit a 2.5 hour drive for the fun of it. Hm...wonder if that would fit in the back of my car. I've fit a C-250 in there before...

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Is it me, or does that crate look like it sat in standing water for a period of time? Lot of warping on the bottom of that crate.
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

I would consider buying it if i were able to observe it first(the crate i mean) I would even see if he would let me use one of the scopes doctors use to look down your nose :? I would find a crack in the crate and use it to look around on the inside.Regardless of condition i would end up buying it...I just like these sort of things...

Aaron

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Amberola 1-A wrote:Is it me, or does that crate look like it sat in standing water for a period of time? Lot of warping on the bottom of that crate.
Excellent observation. I ran across some crated Victrolas about 15 years ago that had been stored in a leaky barn. Although they had never been uncrated, they were in poorer condition than the typical machine that had seen 80 years of use.

Looks like a "grab bag" to me.
Best regards ... AZ*

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Like buying a grab bag!! You just never know where this crate was stored over the years, it could have been in a damp or wet basement that was flooded at one time or another. Look at the bottom section of the crate, it appears to be a bit darker then the top. Was it sitting in a flooded basement or storage area? There could be severe moisture or water damage to that machine, despite the fact that they claim it has never been uncrated. Also can you imagine new old stock staying in a crate for 80+ years and no family member or anyone else curious enough to open it up and want to see what was inside ? It boggles the mind!!

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

So this is where Jimmy Hoffa really ended up!!

antiquekid3
Victor Jr

Post by antiquekid3 »

Yeah, look at the 1957 Plymouth from Tulsa, OK! Brand new...but in worse shape than most on the road today! What a shame! http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/cont ... fault.aspx

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

schweg wrote:So this is where Jimmy Hoffa really ended up!!
Yes this could completely blow the theory that he was dumped into a rotating pugmill at a local Asphalt Batch mixing Plant and was ground up along sand & stone and liquid asphalt into a batch of hot Bituminous Concrete which was later spread as pavement on some local Roadway or Highway, with thousands of motorists later driving over Jimmy's cremains and never realizing it !!