Wanted: Granby or Leviola Phonographs & Related Memorabilia

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Wanted: Granby or Leviola Phonographs & Related Memorabilia

Post by cjstoessner »

I just published a book on the history of the Levy family of Virginia and their furniture stores / phonograph factory. Check out http://www.james-gail.com. In researching Granby and Leviola phonographs, I have grown kind of sentimental being that I know the family, etc. So, now I am on a quest seeking the different model phonographs they produced in any condition (depending on price) and I am very interested in any related items, signs, catalogs, record brushes, (you know, all the cool related stuff).

With that said, it is a typical off brand phonograph, they are not necessarily rare. Again, my interest is mostly sentimental - maybe I can open small regional museum one day showcasing one of each of their models. Right now, I am just collecting. I live in NC and will travel within reason... And, don't be offended if I respectfully decline. If I get 200 emails with Granby phonographs all of a sudden, I may have to revise this request and back off, lol... Thanks!!!
Christopher J. Stoessner
Enthusiast, Collector, Historian
Author of Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and the Granby Phonograph

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

emerson
Victor III

Re: Wanted: Granby or Leviola Phonographs & Related Memorabi

Post by emerson »

I had a Granby with a curved top lid---never seen another phonograph with a lid like that, it was a really nice machine. It has been long gone----my brother-in-law saw my phonograph collection, I do with Emerson what you want to do with Granby (probably the largest Emerson crank-up phonograph collection around). I did pick-up a Granby record album (holds 78rpm records) very rarely to you see Granby items. Never told my brother-in-law I had it---wanted to keep it for my collection BUT I know the desire to collect what not too many people value JUST for what it is. I will see if I can dig it up. I wish you the best in your endeavor. There are about 3 Emerson models that I know of---that I do not posses, which looking for them makes collecting fun. ---Herb

cjstoessner
Victor O

Post by cjstoessner »

Thanks for your reply! Yes, the dome/curved top lids were Granby's trademark cabinet design for uprights... pretty neat. I will keep my eyes open for Emerson and advise should I come across. Thanks!
Christopher J. Stoessner
Author of Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and the Granby Phonograph

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

Found the Granby record holder, will pm later

cjstoessner
Victor O

Post by cjstoessner »

Sounds good - thank you! I replied but it looks like my message is still stuck in the "outbox" portion of the message system....
Christopher J. Stoessner

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

PMs stay in the Outbox until the recipient reads them. At that point they move to the Sent box. So it simply means your PM has yet to be opened.

cjstoessner
Victor O

Post by cjstoessner »

Cool! Thanks for the info...
Christopher J. Stoessner

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Re: Wanted: Granby or Leviola Phonographs & Related Memorabilia

Post by Granby »

Hey everyone! I just found one of my OLD threads. My main reason for this "bump" is to remind everybody that I am "still kicking" as the old saying goes... 8-) The hunt continues! And, thanks to some great leads from fellow forum members, I have made some great acquisitions.

With that said, like many of you, my space is starting to get rather limited. I am being forced to get very selective and only purchase fine examples and models I don't already have. However, the request still stands! If you see a Granby/Leviola "in the wild" or run across any memorabilia, drop me a message.

And, I am not too good at the "self promotion" thing but I will give this a try..... If you or any fellow collectors were not aware, my book was published back in 2018 and is still available on Amazon or by contacting me directly. To date, I think this may be the only book written and published about an Off Brand Phonograph [Granby]. Pretty neat??? It would make a great Christmas gift for those who think they have EVERYTHING or "all the phonograph books" already.... ;)

Okay, enough of my rambling. Happy collecting!
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

Granby
Victor II

Post by Granby »

Just a reminder that this "Granby" guy is still around.... lol. Like many of us in the "under 40" crowd, I feel like I am working at my "regular" job 24/7.... but I do still find time for my beloved Granby phonograph project. If any of y'all find a Granby or Leviola phonograph and you're on the East Coast, drop me a line! PM or email! Take care and Happy Collecting!!!

Oh... and I did publish a book on the Granby Phonograph if anyone is interested in the story of an "off brand".....

Google: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers, Phillip Levy & Co.,, etc. It's on Amazon....
- Chris

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

Granby
Victor II

Post by Granby »

The hunt still continues in November of 2022. Prices for typical cabinet phonographs are down a little and now is a great time to buy. If anyone stumbles onto a Granby or Leviola at their local antique mall or auction house, shoot me a message. Also, always open to Facebook and Craigslist notifications, too. Take care everyone and have a great Holiday Season!!

My "current" contact/user name is "Granby"..... sorry for the confusion. I had a login issue a few years back and originally posted under cjstoessner.
- Chris