WANTED: Thorens Excelda phonograph crank

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
apruizii
Victor II

WANTED: Thorens Excelda phonograph crank

Post by apruizii »

My first portable Thorens Excelda portable phonograph arrived today. It works but has a rigged key in place of the original crank. I thought it wouldn't matter, but it's really hard to wind up the spring fully by using the key. The key has been rigged with the cut notches but slips out when trying to put tension on the spring. Please the attached photos.

Does anyone have the original crank?

Thanks,

AR
Attachments
excelda 1.jpg
excelda.jpg

apruizii
Victor II

Re: WANTED: Thorens Excelda phonograph crank

Post by apruizii »

I would prefer the original but any other slotted ¼"- 5/16" diameter crank or wind up key should work.

Thanks!

AR

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

FYI; This is the correct profile of the slot in the crank you are looking for. This profile prevents the crank from slipping.

I found this crank in my stuff but unfortunately it is too long for your Excelda.
Attachments
ck1.jpg

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Herman,

Thanks for the information along with the photo!

The rigged key that came with the Excelda was made of light weight aluminum and the slots were rounded and caused the key to slip from the crank shaft pin when there was a lot of tension.

I found some wind up slotted keys from ebay made of metal/brass and will arrive next week. Hopefully the keys will work, at least to have something functional until I find an original crank.

AR