FOUND: Info on Shawn Borri rock-n-roll cylinders

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
RSStone
Victor O

FOUND: Info on Shawn Borri rock-n-roll cylinders

Post by RSStone »

Client contacted me a couple of weeks ago, said he'd heard about something called a Borri White cylinder of The Beatles, Sgt Peppers Lonely hearts Club Band. I've heard of them but have no idea where he can buy one or more. Does anyone have any info or possibly one/some for sale? Thanks!

Also, any information to get me up to speed so to say would be much appreciated.
Last edited by RSStone on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Re: Wanted: Info on Borri White cylinders

Post by phonogal »

He has a facebook page. The North American Phonograph Company. You may be able to contact him there.

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

phonogal wrote:He has a facebook page. The North American Phonograph Company. You may be able to contact him there.
Did that, no response yet unfortunately, no particular hurry just going for any/all info I can get since it's something new to me :-)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

What the friend probably mean was a white wax cylinder (special formulation of brown wax, 19th-century mixture) made by Shawn Borri. But when I saw the title I thought there was a Borri White out there.

Mr. Borri is a master of all things pertaining to the Edison wax cylinder phonograph, and he is a very interesting man who has led a life worthy of a major moving picture. I think he's pretty cool.

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:What the friend probably mean was a white wax cylinder (special formulation of brown wax, 19th-century mixture) made by Shawn Borri. But when I saw the title I thought there was a Borri White out there.

Mr. Borri is a master of all things pertaining to the Edison wax cylinder phonograph, and he is a very interesting man who has led a life worthy of a major moving picture. I think he's pretty cool.
Thank you for the info, I'll try to correct the title... I should've known because I thought the same thing when I read the email.

Fonotone
Victor II

Re: Wanted: Info on Shawn Borri rock-n-roll cylinders

Post by Fonotone »

Shawn is a member of this forum. You might want to message him. His forum ID is Edisonphonoworks.

-- Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

RSStone
Victor O

Re: Wanted: Info on Shawn Borri rock-n-roll cylinders

Post by RSStone »

Fonotone wrote:Shawn is a member of this forum. You might want to message him. His forum ID is Edisonphonoworks.

-- Grant
Thank you, will look him up and message...

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Re: FOUND: Info on Shawn Borri rock-n-roll cylinders

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Hello, I can make such a cylinder again. I though have a hard time making the bright white cylinders these days, I have my notes from then, but they usually come out darker now.
Attachments
This is how my blanks and recordings used to look. Those bright white blanks, I made hundreds of them, but have not made them exactly like that in at least 10 years. This is Shawn Borri.
This is how my blanks and recordings used to look. Those bright white blanks, I made hundreds of them, but have not made them exactly like that in at least 10 years. This is Shawn Borri.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

edisonphonoworks wrote:Hello, I can make such a cylinder again. I though have a hard time making the bright white cylinders these days, I have my notes from then, but they usually come out darker now.
So would that make it the "Off- White Album"?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

gramophone-georg wrote:
edisonphonoworks wrote:Hello, I can make such a cylinder again. I though have a hard time making the bright white cylinders these days, I have my notes from then, but they usually come out darker now.
So would that make it the "Off- White Album"?

How well did the Fairchild recorder work ? Just Curious...