WANTED: Door knobs for VE 9-56 or RE-156

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

WANTED: Door knobs for VE 9-56 or RE-156

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Hi folks,

Does anyone by chance, happen to have one or two of these very unique door knobs? I was recently very lucky to purchase an empty but decent condition RE-156 cabinet. However it had the wrong knobs. The innards will be easy to replace but the knobs will be a challenge, no doubt. Can anyone make a miracle happen?

Below is a photo of my empty cabinet and a photo provided by a fellow TMF member of his knobs on his VE 9-56.

Otherwise, anyone else out there that is fortunate enough to have one of these rare RE-156 machines? It’s interesting according to Baumbach’s “Victor Data Book”, there were only 282 made and that the phonograph I previously thought was the most rare phonograph was the Alhambra II with 283 made.
Attachments
5DC967FA-275C-4F30-B542-7544421DC1BF.jpeg
BCE30956-2C75-4260-A652-7A9525DDC564.png

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: WANTED: Door knobs for VE 9-56 or RE-156

Post by marcapra »

Wow, when I think rare this is it, especially the RE-156. Yes, the inner radio phono can just be taken out of a RE-45, which are plentiful, for their age I mean. I wanted one for years but gave up on this idea. Uncle Vanya also wanted one, especially the RE-156. Since you have a large knowledge of phonographs, I'm looking for one that is kind of rare, but not highly sought after. I want it because I have a 20s bed by Berkey and Gay, and Cheney phonographs used cabinet made by them. Finding those exact knobs will be hard, but they made many knobs like that for furniture. So I think you will find something at least similar if you look at 1920s furniture knobs. I think I have a knob that looks similar, but only one. It came on my 8-9, but I got the right knob now. It would be weird if it is the exact knob you need. I always wondered if the cabinet is connected to the table, or are they separate units?

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: WANTED: Door knobs for VE 9-56 or RE-156

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Marc,

I believe it just looks like a chest sitting on a table, but otherwise it’s screwed, glued, and doweled together. See photo below.

It would be great if you found that possible similar single knob you have and sent me a photo of it. I got the kit to make a mold and replica of it. I’ve yet to try out that process but I’m sure I could get good results.

Good luck with your search of a Cheney phonograph with the cabinet made by Berkey & Gay. Though my phonographic interest lies within the rarer Victor Vctrolas and Electrolas as well as Gothic Period models, it would be my pleasure to pass on to you any Cheney leads.

I do have a spare RE-154 I should be getting around to selling in the next couple months... I’ll be sure to notify Uncle Vanya when that time comes around.
-Wayne
Attachments
D6B34E65-FFDE-4162-8A66-08F2B7441BE9.jpeg
5C102F55-B7D7-47FE-8AD7-3A1DB10AC8B2.jpeg