WANTED: Victrola XVIII

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

WANTED: Victrola XVIII

Post by cheryla »

I’m in the South so I’d like a complete Victrola XVIII . Willing to travel along the Lower East Coast or Southern states.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: WANTED: Victrola XVIII

Post by Inigo »

Very recently someone has posted a xviii in key largo Craigslist... Look in the eBay alerts.
Inigo

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

cheryla wrote:I’m in the South so I’d like a complete Victrola XVIII . Willing to travel along the Lower East Coast or Southern states.

Link to info I posted. Located in FL

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43612

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The motor is not unique to an XVIII. The motor would have been used in any XVI made at the same time. The motor board may be different. The finish on the machine in Florida like it has color but no finish. Jerry B.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I wonder if the horn is still intact. I think that the innards from a XVII would work, including the horn.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I think, because the cabinet is curved on an XVIII, the horn is different and not interchangeable from a XVI to an XVIII. Perhaps it could be modified but it not a quick swap. Jerry

cheryla
Victor II

Post by cheryla »

The one in Florida had the original motor removed and an electric motor stuck in. The owner doesn’t know what else was done. My research indicates the motor was unique to the machine, like the Victrola XII has a unique motor. I’d rather spend more money and get a better machine which is why I’m putting he word out.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

The VV-XVIII used the same motor as some of the VV-XVI's of the period.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

My research indicates the motor was unique to the machine, like the Victrola XII has a unique motor.
The Victrola XVI was the "flagship" of the Victrola lineup. It had the finest most powerful Victor spring motor that was used at the time of its manufacture. In addition it had the largest horn, finest sound box, tone arm and other mechanical parts at the time of its manufacture. The actual sound performance and duration of the spring motor were second to no other Victrola. But it was not the most expensive Victrola in the lineup. You could pay more money for a factory assembly line model like a XVIII and later a XVII or even a custom order in the form of.a Period Victrola but you were spending money on cabinetry not performance. If you look at a snapshot of time, the same fine motor was used in the XVI and all the more expensive models.

I would be interested in your research sources. I think confusion comes when you compare two Victrolas from different time periods and that time period could be very brief. Victor was continually improving each model.

Respectfully, Jerry Blais

cheryla
Victor II

Post by cheryla »

Excellent advice, thanks. I’m going to pass on the Florida machine.