Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
RSStone
Victor O

Re: ISO Graphophone trim piece

Post by RSStone »

Last edited by RSStone on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

Last edited by RSStone on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

In all fairness to the author, "the book" is The Columbia Phonograph Companion, Vol. I, by Howard Hazelcorn.

George P.

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

Last edited by RSStone on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

RSStone wrote:
phonogfp wrote:In all fairness to the author, "the book" is The Columbia Phonograph Companion, Vol. I, by Howard Hazelcorn.

George P.
For future reference, am I supposed to give author and title when posting information to clarify my earlier mistake?

Well, in a word, yes.

When posting images taken from someone else's work (especially copyrighted sources), it's simply good form to at least mention the source and the author. Many newcomers might not be aware of a book published over 20 years ago, and the inclusion of title and author will allow them to search out the book if they choose.

Posting brief pieces of information gleaned from a book doesn't necessarily violate a copyright. But when reproducing/scanning/photographing the contents of copyrighted material (as done here in violation of copyright law), mentioning the title and author is really the least we can do since someone's intellectual property has been used presumably without their permission.

But this is all getting pretty far afield from your search for a piece of molding for an AB Graphophone. I hoped that my identifying what you were looking for might help you in your search. If I came off as over-critical, I apologize; it was not my intent. As for my properly crediting a book title and author whose pages were posted, that's simply courtesy.

George P.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

BTW a fast and easier way to replace pressed carved molding would be to make an Alginate mold(Dental impression material) and then pour into it Hydrostone (a stronger form of plaster of paris) which can be obtained from a building supply. I use this technique all the time when replacing repwood carving appliques often found on machines dating around the first world war to the late 20's. Once made it is easily color matched to whatever finish is applied. If done correctly it is almost impossible to distinguish

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: Please delete... Graphophone trim piece Solved!

Post by Uncle Vanya »

By the way, that piece of trim is used on the closer for quite a number of Western Electric wood ringer boxes made between 1889 and 1917. You could probably pick a couple examples up from a telephone collector for a few dollars, including the eacutcheon pins:

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

No need to delete this thread, (as your new subject line requests)! There's good information shared here that may help others.

RSStone
Victor O

Post by RSStone »