North Carolina show July 11th-Edisonic?

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: North Carolina show July 11th-Edisonic?

Post by Curt A »

Masks have been declared mandatory in NC...
Last edited by Curt A on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

chrisg
Victor III

Post by chrisg »

Deleted
Last edited by chrisg on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

“Once free” (snickers behind hand)

They tried seceding once, and it didn’t work out so well.

But seriously folks, if you’re going to roll the dice by going to such an event, mask up. We’re already losing enough of our ranks to Father Time as it is; no need to speed the process.
Attachments
F1F8A463-792B-443F-A9F5-2F0B86BA7AF7.jpeg

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

OK folks, we've crossed over into politics, so let's just stop now, OK?

Thanks.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Definitely. Let’s keep our health unpoliticized.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Back to the poster's question...
cheryla wrote:Is anyone bringing an Edisonic Beethoven to the North Carolina show July 11, 2020?
It does not seem like you will find an Edisonic Beethoven at the swap meet.

And...
randymullx wrote:Where can I find details about the show?
Facebook has this to offer...
From Facebook 6.28.20.png
From Facebook 6.28.20.png (46.79 KiB) Viewed 988 times
James.

chrisg
Victor III

Post by chrisg »

Sorry, i didn't mean to hijack Mr. Hurt's post. I just thought others may want to have an idea what would be there. I will remove myself from this post and the sale. Again, sorry and I'm done
Attachments
200.gif
200.gif (348.01 KiB) Viewed 951 times

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Regarding the July 11th show, not that it matters much but I won't be able to make it. Apparently I was exposed to someone who tested positive for CovID-19 (and who reviewed it as one of his worst experiences, ever) and do not want to risk it for you guys or myself.

Phonographs are fun but they sure aren't worth getting sick over.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Regarding the July 11th show, not that it matters much but I won't be able to make it. Apparently I was exposed to someone who tested positive for CovID-19 (and who reviewed it as one of his worst experiences, ever) and do not want to risk it for you guys or myself.

Phonographs are fun but they sure aren't worth getting sick over.
Aw man that's unfortunate, but safety is first. I considered not going, but I will of course be wearing a mask to keep others safe and I fit the demographic of people who are at low risk. Something similar happened to my sister a few weeks ago when she went up to work at a summer camp in IL. Everyone was supposed to be tested and quarantined beforehand, but low and behold a staff member tested positive, and a lot of people decided to leave. If the kids will still attend I do not know, but it seems like a bad idea to me. Luckily everything turned out fine, I hope things turn out fine for you as well.

I hope I see everyone there with a mask
Martin

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It would be nice to have gone at least to hang out, look at the new restorations, & maybe trade a few records, but yep, these things happen.

At least the possible exposure came in a proper phonograph-related manner. My friend the monsignor is old as dirt & likes to live a simple life. He lives the way I'd like to--like WWII still hasn't happened yet. I went into his house and the newspaper lying on the table still talked about the Allies thrashing Hitler's troops pretty soundly, and about a defeat of the Japanese Air Force. Kerosene lamps in the living room, ink-wells on the desk, you know the works.

Well, I've very much enjoyed putting his 1920 D-2 Grafonola back together--it was a mahogany one as well, which was a pretty nice surprise as a lot of table Grafonolas are oak. And he seemed to enjoy listening to it very much as well; after re-doing it where it didn't eat records the Columbia played music all morning. I fixed a VV-90 reproducer, two glass key typewriters--a big Royal KMG desktop that wouldn't backspace, and a Remington Portable No. 1 with keys that didn't all work-- and while I was doing all that he just kept on playing records. There was a pile of old records in the house most of which were best described as The Good Stuff.

So while being exposed to CovID-19 positive folks is never exactly as positive as it sounds, I was able to spend a morning helping a friend out with his vintage tech troubles and that all went over well enough. I probably won't get anything from this, thank goodness, but even in the chance I may, I for sure wouldn't' risk you-all's health up there.