Fabric for 8-9 grill?

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Fabric for 8-9 grill?

Post by cheryla »

Is anyone selling fabric that matches the original in a Victrola 8-9? I got the stains out but it’s so full of what look like cigarette burn holes...

electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Re: Fabric for 8-9 grill?

Post by electrolaman 64 »

Brett, This is a close as you can now but these days. Be glad the 8-9 has the diamond pattern cloth like the Electrolas instead of the usual orthophonic gold cloth. That they quit making all together and nobody has come close matching it since.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Radio- ... SwiqNdhDuS

You will have to send them a message with the size you actually need.

Carlton Smith
electrolaman 64
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I bought that stuff and had to return it. It's radio grille cloth and very thick. I played my 8-9 both with and without that cloth and the difference was huge. The thick radio grille cloth cut all the treble notes out or at least muffled them to an unacceptable degree.

electrolaman 64
Victor II

Hi Marc,

Well then if that is the case that is it for any cloth that looks correct. :(

Too bad they quit making the correct cloth. It was really good stuff both for acoustic orthophonic and Electrola use. :|

I am still working off old stock I bought 17 years ago.

I just ordered some so I can see what the new stuff is like and make my own opinion.

Carlton Smith
electrolaman 64
Indianapolis
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

electrolaman 64 wrote:
I just ordered some so I can see what the new stuff is like and make my own opinion.

Carlton Smith
electrolaman 64
Indianapolis

Hi - is there any chance you could also report back as I have been reading this thread with interest and would like to also get your opinion. I am looking to source suitable replacement cloth for my VE9-55 which is a diamond pattern. The current cloth is very thin so it might be that the new stuff available will too thick but I would welcome your comment on this. I don't need the cloth right now as what is fitted is just about ok but there are places where there is damage and it is beginning to tear so I want to have some spare cloth in for the day when it finally falls apart and wondered if the one you gave the link for would be a suitable alternative.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

The Antique Phonograph Supply Co. still lists Orthophonic Grill Cloth -- http://www.antiquephono.com/victor.htm

OrthoFan

electrolaman 64
Victor II

I need to see what they have too. It may be NOS of the cloth that once you could get from the guy having it made. If so it is a different weave than the 8-9 or Electrolas (which is the diamond patter) but still the lovely shiny gold threads not some dull cotton.

Carlton Smith
electrolaman 64
Indianapolis, IN
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

electrolaman 64
Victor II

So here is my report on the RichmondDesigns Victor & RCA type diamond grille cloth.

Putting it up to the light along side what we used to get. It's physical look is almost dead on the right coloring sheen etc. However, the density of the thread is indeed slightly heavier. make no mistake it is transparent and you see a lot of light though it though. But I will have to agree with Marc that it probably would effect the highs on an acoustic application. Not necessarily a huge amount but it would. What we used to get was as transparent sounding as the original cloth which I have compared as well. I would have no problem using this fabric on a true Victor Electrola though.

Carlton Smith
electrolaman 564
Indianapolis, IN
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64