Pathé Phonograph Late Oval Horn - $150

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
donniej
Victor III

Pathé Phonograph Late Oval Horn - $150

Post by donniej »

This is likely an Actuelle model "H" which was modified at the factory for the composite, oval horn. These are not common machines and this is the only one I've seen that's branded "Pathé". There is no data plate on it and there is no evidence of one ever having been attached. It has the normal Heineman P5001 motor found in most Pathés, the motor was fully serviced ~4 years ago and springs were replaced with new ones from Ron Sitko. The reproducer has been rebuilt and will pivot to play verticals or laterals. The wood has not been cleaned, the turntable felt looks original and needs re-gluing, a leg was broken at some point and was repaired (probably a long time ago). The lid prop rod hardware is incomplete and a "temporary" one is currently installed.
You won't find a better running or sounding Pathé, nor a seller more blunt and honest. This is a nice machine and the owner will surely enjoy it. It's been used almost exclusively for storing my "good" discs for years, so it's time for it to find another home. It will be sold, so feel free to make me an offer.
Attachments
image6.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image10.jpeg
image9.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg
Last edited by donniej on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Re: Pathé Phonograph Late Oval Horn - $220 OBO

Post by pughphonos »

Hope you find a buyer. Those late, repurposed Actuelle cabinets with oval horns are indeed fascinating. I own a Sheraton version (another member of this forum spent a lot of time rebuilding and refinishing it for me; I don't know if he wants his name mentioned--if he sees this and is OK with a shout-out, I'll praise him to the heavens). If you search "Pathé Sheraton" you'll see my string from a few years ago.

Does anyone know how many sizes the Pathé "Pathol" oval horns came in?

Mindy
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Pathé Phonograph Late Oval Horn - $220 OBO

Post by JohnM »

These cabinets were actually produced for Pathé by the Atherton Company of Louisville, Kentucky. The Athertons were a prominent family there and there’s a high school named after one of them. I’ve also seen these cabinets decalled ‘Operolla’ with the white fiber horn inside.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

donniej
Victor III

Re: Pathé Phonograph Late Oval Horn - $150

Post by donniej »

This machine has to go. I reduced the price to $150, which does not include the Pathé sapphire stylus. If the machine does not sell in the near future then I'll offer the following parts in the following lots...

Motor, board, turntable, speed control & brake - $75

Tonearm & reproducer - $50

Horn - $50

Cabinet - Free

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

This machine will be leaving my house on 12/21. I'd prefer not to part it out and if anyone is interested then please contact me.
Any offer will be considered.

Ladyvictrola
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Keep em” turning!

Post by Ladyvictrola »

Do you still have this? If so I’m interested in the tonearm and reproducer.

Thanks,
Ladyvictrola

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

This machine appears to be capable of playing Pathé 20" discs, or pretty close to it.
Do you know what is the largest disc size this will play?
Such a shame if this does get parted out.