SOLD: Early 1899 Edison Drip Pan Gem Phonograph - $900

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
FellowCollector
Victor IV

SOLD: Early 1899 Edison Drip Pan Gem Phonograph - $900

Post by FellowCollector »

From my long time personal collection here is my early 1899 Model A Edison Drip Pan Gem for your purchase consideration. This one is serial number 13158 as stamped into the straight edge making it quite early in Gem model production. The 1899 Edison Drip Pan Gem was the very first Edison Gem and it had a relatively brief production life. This particular model had several unique characteristics found in no other Edison phonograph. One of which is the reproducer which was factory-installed permanently into the carriage. The motor end of the belt pulley is tiny and the upper belt pulley connected to the mandrel is unusually large. There was never a wood cabinet nor a lid for this model. This model is normally supplied with a metal "Drip Pan" attached underneath the motor to catch oil and other motor lubricants but this particular one has no drip pan and this is exactly as I found it. The motor is quite noisy as with almost all very early Edison Gems but it runs smoothly and is very strong and long running. The nickel plated key is original. The cone horn seen in the pictures and video is exactly what came with this phonograph. It appears very old, is unpainted and I have no idea of its age. The reproducer is complete but definitely needs rebuilding and one small screw securing the reproducer to the carriage "eye" is missing. The carriage moves perfectly on the threaded feed screw. The reproducer does produce some weak sound when playing a cylinder but again it needs rebuilding to produce better sound.

That's about it. Send me a PM with interest. PayPal Friends, check, USPS money order payment. USPS Priority Mail is extra and at cost. I package very securely. Pick up in Eastern NY State is also an option.

The 1899 Edison Drip Pan Gem surfaces for sale infrequently so if you've been looking for a pretty decent one at what I consider a fair price this might be the one you want.

I've included pictures and a video so that the prospective buyer will have the best possible visual description (without being here to see it in person) that I can provide.

Thanks,
Doug

Here's the video:

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

Attachments
IMG_6702.JPG
IMG_6703.JPG
IMG_6704.JPG
IMG_6705.JPG
IMG_6706.JPG
IMG_6707.JPG
IMG_6709.JPG
IMG_6708.JPG
IMG_6717.JPG
Last edited by FellowCollector on Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Re: FOR SALE: Early 1899 Edison Drip Pan Gem Phonograph - $9

Post by Mormon S »

This is a very nice and rare phonograph that someone will definitely enjoy. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe these reproducers were designed to carry a horn, but instead to be used with with listening tubes. I talked to Wyatt about the later recessed reproducer, and according to him the horn applies excessive pressure at the bottom of the diaphragm. Not sure if it applies to the flat top plate reproducers or how much it affects the sound, but just something to think about

Martin

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

PM sent.

Rich Gordon

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

SOLD! I’ll take it.

Rich Gordon

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: SOLD: Early 1899 Edison Drip Pan Gem Phonograph - $900

Post by Phono-Phan »

I didn't think this would last long at that price. I paid much more for mine.