For Sale: New BakerTone copper diaphragms

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Twohorns
Victor Jr

Re: For Sale: New BakerTone copper diaphragms

Post by Twohorns »

Paul,

What is the story on copper diaphragms? Were they put in late production Edison reproducers or was it an upgrade when reproducers were reworked in the day? Is there sound improvement from the original diaphragms? I see reproducers that were rebuilt years ago and many have copper diaphragms when they didn’t originally.

Thanks for schooling me...

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

The copper diaphragm was an improvement over the mica diaphragms that were installed on the earlier Model-C reproducers. I would imagine if you had a model-B Gem style reproducer you could have the upgrade copper diaphragm installed by the dealer or any other reproducer for that matter. Old copper diaphragms have stiffened with age and use diminishing the tonal quality and volume produced when playing. A fresh new diaphragm will give you maximum volume and tonal quality(mind you it's not and Orthophonic or Hi-fi quality hehe) But it's a major improvement and will play as good as the reproducer ever played and probably a little better. After being involved in this hobby for 57 years, I can't ever recall seeing a Model-H originally equipped with a mica diaphragm.

Victor z
Victor Jr

Post by Victor z »

I received the three Edison k reproducers I sent to Paul for restoration in less then a week. The restored reproducers are amazing with the new BakerTone diaphragm. They are much louder with better tone and clarity than restored originals in my collection. I will definitely be sending more in for restoration with the BakerTone diaphragm. Paul’s work is excellent and everything was done to perfection. I would recommend his work to anyone. It is a great way to improve the sound quality on your favorite Edison Machine.

Jon Schmitt

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

I want to thank Jim Nichol and Jon Schmitt for their kind remarks

JLH
Victor O

Post by JLH »

I sent Paul a C, a H, and two K's that were from the bottom of the parts draw. Some with broken hinge blocks and all had other maladies. They were ugly and dirty to boot. Paul had them done in just a few days and I was able to pick them up in person. He demonstrated each one and they look and sound fantastic. You would not know they were the same ones I sent him. Thanks Paul!

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

There are still plenty of these available