ISO Oddball spring barrel

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Salty Stones
Victor Jr

ISO Oddball spring barrel

Post by Salty Stones »

Got this spring barrel in, only markings on anything is the reproducer is a Starr... Nothing anywhere on the case and can't find a makers mark on the motor. So I'm hoping someone might be able to ID it from the pieces. Was a pot metal spring barrel the owner tried to jb weld and hold together and it broke apart while trying to remove it, is the first pot metal barrel I've seen and as you can tell, I need a replacement... Any info would be appreciated, actually having one you want to get rid of would be awesome.
20210609_135601.jpg
20210609_135612.jpg
20210609_135619.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: ISO Oddball spring barrel

Post by Curt A »

That is definitely a strange one, but other machines were equipped with pot metal spring barrels, even if it was the stupidest idea ever. How about an explosion in the parlor while listening to Christmas records with the kids? :? You might be better off finding a replacement motor...

That "repair" job was one of the worst I've ever seen...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Salty Stones
Victor Jr

Post by Salty Stones »

This one exploded on me 🤣🤣 I can't believe it survived shipping!! Can you imagine the mail carrier if it had blown up in transit?!? I am expecting to repurpose a Victrola 2 spring that's similar in size, will have to do some creative machining but will be a fun project. But I told my friend that I would attempt to find an original that wasn't too far gone that he could put with the machine, no springs, just to have for some reason.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Maybe showing a photo of the whole motor might suggest repairs or replacements. For example, maybe ths particular motor didn't always use cast spring barrels. Who knows :coffee: