Found, Rubber Insert for Orthophonic Reproducer

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Django
Victor IV

Found, Rubber Insert for Orthophonic Reproducer

Post by Django »

These are always on ebay, except when you need one. I am rebuilding the reproducer for my VV8-9 and cannot seem to find the rubber insert that attaches it to the tone arm. If I can’t find one I will chip the old rubber off of the Brass tube and mold one, but I would rather not of I can avoid it. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Django on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: WANTED, Rubber Insert for Orthophonic Reproducer

Post by Inigo »

The red rubber collars sold for Meltrope soundboxes, of the adequate inner diameter for the orthophonic tonearm also serve this purpose very well. They fit tight into the metal collar at the back of the soundbox, no need for the fixing screw. These rubber collars don't have the brass insert with the soundbox angle locating pin, but this is not needed, for they also make the soundbox fit tightly and perfectly on the tonearm. An added advantage is that due to the absence of the pin, you can modify the angle of the soundbox to adjust the needle point location for a better groove tracking. Of course, you lose authenticity, but I find these rubber collars most convenient for better sound and wider adjustability of my gramophones.
I believe these are found on ebay, but our chunnybh and maybe other colleagues (soundgen?) also sell them.
Inigo

Django
Victor IV

Re: WANTED, Rubber Insert for Orthophonic Reproducer

Post by Django »

Inigo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:16 am The red rubber collars sold for Meltrope soundboxes, of the adequate inner diameter for the orthophonic tonearm also serve this purpose very well. They fit tight into the metal collar at the back of the soundbox, no need for the fixing screw. These rubber collars don't have the brass insert with the soundbox angle locating pin, but this is not needed, for they also make the soundbox fit tightly and perfectly on the tonearm. An added advantage is that due to the absence of the pin, you can modify the angle of the soundbox to adjust the needle point location for a better groove tracking. Of course, you lose authenticity, but I find these rubber collars most convenient for better sound and wider adjustability of my gramophones.
I believe these are found on ebay, but our chunnybh and maybe other colleagues (soundgen?) also sell them.
Thanks. The red would also look nice on the 8-9. A forum member kindly sold me a new reproduction part.

Inigo
Victor VI

Re: Found, Rubber Insert for Orthophonic Reproducer

Post by Inigo »

If you're a nervous tinkerer like me, you'll also buy that red rubber Meltrope connector and would ever try it... Perhaps on another surplus soundbox. The adjustable soundbox zenith angle is quite a point... You simply remove the original connector and the screws, and place this instead... If not, stay well and be happy! :)
Inigo

electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Post by electrolaman 64 »

You can always do what Wyatt Marcus does in lieu of the pre-made rubber inserts which are a bit too hard and causes a degree of lack of bass to the reproduction. I have started doing this process myself to my Orthophonic reproducers. (see attachment)

Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN
Attachments
Rebuilding a Victrola Orthophonic soundbox.docx
(20.66 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

I've also done this on some of my hmv no4 soundboxes. It works fine. I used small plastic cylinders as formers, one into the brass insert, another one outside the backplate collar. When I filled the silicone, I let it flood passed the backplate collar, so it makes that kind of outer lip that holds against the tonearm and makes the connection completely airtight.

My plastic cylinders were celluloid strips formed as cylinders and held in place with cellophane, so when the silicone had hardened (i let it several days) you can simply remove the cellophane and unwrap the cylinder formers.
Inigo