information: How to remove the turntable platter for a Victor VV-VI 1916 Suffix F

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
MaryDoerr
Victor Jr

information: How to remove the turntable platter for a Victor VV-VI 1916 Suffix F

Post by MaryDoerr »

I have purchased a Victor VV-VI Serial # 234596 F. I can't figure out how to remove the turntable. I was wondering if someone would know how to pull the platter off. It was made in 1916.
Thanks for your help.

JohnM
Victor V

Re: information: How to remove the turntable platter for a Victor VV-VI 1916 Suffix F

Post by JohnM »

Three maple wedges. Place them on felt in three places around the turntable (not “platter”) at 12, 4, and 8 o’clock positions. Gently tap in rotation until the turntable pops off. It’s just stuck.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

studebakerphonos
Victor II
Personal Text: Skilled Craftsman produce radio cabinets at RCA Victor in Camden, N.J.

Re: information: How to remove the turntable platter for a Victor VV-VI 1916 Suffix F

Post by studebakerphonos »

Also, put some penetrating oil, like WD40 around the shaft, but be careful with the spray, it may go onto your felt. Spray some into a cap or something and use a tooth pick to drop it down the shaft.

Good Luck!
Bob

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

studebakerphonos wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:15 am Also, put some penetrating oil, like WD40 around the shaft, but be careful with the spray, it may go onto your felt. Spray some into a cap or something and use a tooth pick to drop it down the shaft.

Good Luck!
Bob
WD-40 is NOT a penetrating oil. It’s intended as a rust-proofed. It’s high in poorly-refined waxy oils that oxidize rapidly and become gummy/sticky. Use a real penetrating oil like Kroil, PenLube, or Mouse Milk. Any lubricant dropped at the spindle will also be absorbed into the felt, discoloring it.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

MaryDoerr
Victor Jr

Post by MaryDoerr »

I was able to remove it. Thanks for all the help.