SOLD: Almost everything for a Victor D/Victor V

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
john9ten
Victor II

SOLD: Almost everything for a Victor D/Victor V

Post by john9ten »

Hello all

I was gifted a cabinet for a late Victor D, which is the Victor V style cabinet. It has no motor, crank, and the center of the motor board has been cut out. There is no back bracket and no horn. Am I crazy for thinking I can find these parts and restore it? The motor is identical to that of the Victor V, they used the same motor when the name was change from D to V. I have attached a photo of what I have and a photo of the motor I need. ALso need back bracket and horn. I am a little afraid of what this will cost, but I can't stand seeing the cabinet empty and I feel like it is crying out for restoration. If you have as empathetic a heart as I have for these machines, please help!

Thank you

John Robles
20210823_105456.jpg
20210823_105704.jpg
20210823_105632.jpg
Attachments
Victor D - Victor V motor.jpg
20210823_105551.jpg
20210823_105532.jpg
20210823_105513.jpg
Last edited by john9ten on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Re: WANTED: Almost everything for a Victor D/Victor V

Post by fmblizz »

This is the motor board that is on my transition D/V Victor..

blizz
motorboard.jpg

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

Here's an elbow I just bought and paid 195.00US for it, if you can find one, there are cast aluminum reproductions out there, but they are thick.

A reproduction back bracket will run you 192.00US from Turkey, but that one may not fit as it's for a Victor 1, the listing is not quite clear.

Motors for these will run around 300.00 in good condition.

Don Gfell horn, another 1100.00, but top quality work.

http://edisonman.com/victorspear.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284288836408?h ... SwMCxgmA66

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284226584475?h ... SwLqRcmfUi

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47185

Finding a tonearm is near impossible.
I bought this one from an inside horn machine, and it can be made to work, but you need a lathe to do it.
Lots of reproducers around cranks and goose necks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203514191839?s ... 2749.l2649

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

From my perspective you need:

1, 12" cast iron turntable. It's not the same as a Victor V because the D motor has a smaller spindle shaft................$200
2, Victor D motor. It's not the same as a typical Victor V.........................................................................................$400 or more
3, Big black and brass Victor horn..........................................................................................................................$300
4, Original horn elbow...........................................................................................................................................$200
5, Elbow clip & screw............................................................................................................................................$ 25
6, Back bracket. Only a back bracket from a D, V, or VI is the correct size................................................................$200
7, Original slotted crank.........................................................................................................................................$ 75 or more
8, Round hole Exhibition........................................................................................................................................$ 75 or more
9, Nickel tone arm.................................................................................................................................................$100

It's an uphill battle to start with an empty cabinet or one with a damaged top board.

Jerry B.
Last edited by Jerry B. on Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It looks like the motor board was cut out squarely, leaving a frame around the hole. I think you could make an insert to complete it, preserving the edge molding detail.

For the other parts, I would start with George Vollema, unless other members have them...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

JeffR1 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:40 pm Here's an elbow I just bought and paid 195.00US for it, if you can find one, there are cast aluminum reproductions out there, but they are thick.

There is someone making really good repros of nickel plated brass that are like the originals, not thick like the earlier repros, if I can only remember who it is! Thanks for the info!

JOhn

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

Jerry B. wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:01 pm From my perspective you need:

1, 12" cast iron turntable. It's not the same as a Victor V because the D motor has a smaller spindle shaft................$200
2, Victor D motor. It's not the same as a typical Victor V.........................................................................................$400 or more
3, Big black and brass Victor horn..........................................................................................................................$300
4, Original horn elbow...........................................................................................................................................$200
5, Elbow clip & screw............................................................................................................................................$ 25
6, Back bracket. Only a back bracket from a D, V, or VI is the correct size................................................................$200
7, Original slotted crank.........................................................................................................................................$ 75 or more
8, Round hole Exhibition........................................................................................................................................$ 75 or more
9, Nickel tone arm.................................................................................................................................................$100

It's an uphill battle to start with an empty cabinet or one with a damaged top board.

Jerry B.
I agree with you, it would be better to start if I had all the other parts and had to find a cabinet!Looking at this cabinet, I'd love to have it complete because I can't afford a complete D or V, but who knows. I reconnected with a friend who bought almost all of a local collector and repairman's phonograph parst and machines, and I am hoping to find something in there as the repairman worked for years in this area ficing and selling machines. We'll see, this may just be a pipe dream. Anyone want to donate an outside horn machine to a good home? LOL!

Thanks

John

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

fmblizz wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:09 pm This is the motor board that is on my transition D/V Victor..

blizzmotorboard.jpg
Thanks for the pic!

John

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

JeffR1 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:40 pm Here's an elbow I just bought and paid 195.00US for it, if you can find one, there are cast aluminum reproductions out there, but they are thick.

A reproduction back bracket will run you 192.00US from Turkey, but that one may not fit as it's for a Victor 1, the listing is not quite clear.

Motors for these will run around 300.00 in good condition.

Don Gfell horn, another 1100.00, but top quality work.

http://edisonman.com/victorspear.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284288836408?h ... SwMCxgmA66

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284226584475?h ... SwLqRcmfUi

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47185

Finding a tonearm is near impossible.
I bought this one from an inside horn machine, and it can be made to work, but you need a lathe to do it.
Lots of reproducers around cranks and goose necks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203514191839?s ... 2749.l2649
Every once in awhile I see a semi junker VTLA and I think about taking the motor from it, I believe it is the same one.

John

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

john9ten wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:37 am

There is someone making really good repros of nickel plated brass that are like the originals, not thick like the earlier repros, if I can only remember who it is! Thanks for the info!

JOhn
One of the guys died from Covid according to an eBay seller in Peru, another place (probably APSCO)has no stock and they said they won't be getting any more.

http://www.antiquephono.com/victor.htm

EDIT:
I dug through my emails and this is from a Patti Valente of APSCO.

"With regrets, we do not have any elbows in stock and are not sure that we can replace the inventory any time soon.
Thank you for your inquiry".